FCS Honors Program
Are you an inquisitive person? Do you wish to seek out answers? Are you interested in pursuing a masters or doctorate? Do you want to work with a faculty member who has similar interests as you? If you answered yes to the above questions, then the FCS Honors Program is for you!
Procedures for Admittance
In the FCS Honors Program, you will need to complete a total of 12 hours through coursework. Through the following courses, you will have an opportunity to enrich your learning experiences by working with your faculty advisor to:
* Honors Thesis required by University Honors guidelines.
- Learn how to conduct research in FCS 4444: Honors Independent Study, 3 credit hours
- Facilitate a research study in FCS 4555: Honors Research, 3 credit hours
- Present your research study in: FCS 4644: Honors Thesis*, 3 credit hours
- Complete a 5000-5499 graduate FCS course, 3 credit hours
# Student may petition School of Family and Consumer Sciences to substitute up to three semester hours of FCS Honors credit for requirements within the major.
- Students who meet the following criteria will be admitted into the FCS Honors Program:
• Completion of at least 12 semester hours of coursework at EIU with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher;
• FCS major GPA of 3.5 or higher; and
• Permission of the Dean of the Honors College and the FCS Honors Coordinator.
- Student petitions must be submitted to the School of Family and Consumer Sciences Honors coordinator who will in turn submit the request to faculty in the appropriate subject matter area.
- Requirements within the student's subject matter option and the School of Family and Consumer Sciences core curriculum will have to be addressed and satisfied before approval is recommended.
- The recommended petition will then require the signature of the School of Family and Consumer Sciences Chair for final approval.
For more information, contact the FCS Honors Program Coordinator:
School of Family and Consumer Sciences
Eastern Illinois University, 600 Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920