- Faculty and Staff
- Graduate Degrees
To provide opportunities for students to be engaged in research on renewable energy, working with undergraduate, graduate students and faculty at Eastern Illinois University.
1. High school junior and senior students will be selected to participate in the program.
2. Students must be in excellent academic standing.
3. Students must be interested in studying sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
4. Students must be recommended by at least one teacher.
5. Students will be responsible for their own transportation to the campus.
6. Students are required to follow all safety rules in the labs and on campus, and professional code of conduct.
1.Students need to ask their respective teachers for recommendation to participate in the program. The recommendation can be in a form of letter or email addressed to the CENCERE director.
2. Students must provide a brief essay that illustrates reasons why students are interested in the research program. Contact information including email address of the student should be included in the essay.
3. Students will be selected based upon their essays and teacher recommendations.
4. The director of CENCERE will coordinate an initial meeting with the selected high school students and EIU faculty and students. A research group will be formed based on the specific subject of research.
5. Research meetings and lab activities will be organized by the faculty and graduate students in charge of the specific research. The number of meeting times will be agreed upon by all the participants in the research effort.
6. A student report will be expected upon the conclusion of each semester.
7. If the progress in research and on-campus interaction with other students and faculty is satisfactory, high school students may continue their research beyond one semester. Arrangements will be determined by the faculty in charge of the research group.
If you are interested in participating in the CENCERE Renewable Energy Research Mentorship program, tell your Science teacher who will contact Dr. Peter Ping Liu at EIU.
Click here to complete an application for the CENCERE Renewable Energy Research Mentorship program.
All applicants must have at least one teacher recommendation. Click here to complete a Teacher Recommendation form.
For more information, please contact
Peter Ping Liu, PhD, PE, OCP, CQE and CSTM
Professor and Director
Center for Clean Energy Research and Education
Eastern Illinois University
600 E. Lincoln Avenue
Charleston, IL 61920