Face Coverings and Masking
Appropriate use of face masks or coverings is critical in minimizing risks to others.
- Report Student Non-Compliance
- Report Employee Non-Compliance
- All individuals will be expected to appropriately wear clean cloth or disposable face masks while on campus, both indoors and outdoors, including all buildings, grounds, parking lots, and EIU vehicles. This includes everyone on campus as they travel to, from, and between all classes and/or university buildings. EIU’s on-campus face masking policy includes few exceptions based on times and/or locations.
- Clean cloth or disposable face masks must be worn in all classroom spaces and public buildings and spaces, including but not limited to all elevators, stairwells, restrooms, hallways, classrooms, labs, and studios*. * Students enrolled in specialized courses may be required to comply with discipline-specific guidelines in lab and/or studio environments.
- Students without or who are not appropriately wearing their face masks will be prohibited from academic meeting and department office spaces, including all classrooms, meeting rooms, laboratories, and studios.
- We expect every member of the Eastern Illinois University community—students and employees alike—to take personal ownership of their behaviors and to reflect on and understand their social obligation to protect the health and safety of themselves and others. Students who repeatedly violate the EIU masking policy will be sent to the Office of Student Accountability and face disciplinary action. Employees who do not adhere to EIU’s health and safety measures outlined in this guidebook may be subject to disciplinary action.
- Appropriately wearing a face mask includes completely covering both the nose and mouth.
- Cloth masks should be cleaned after each use. Guidelines for properly washing cloth masks are available at www.cdc.gov.
Exceptions to the requirement of wearing face masks will include:
- when students are in a private campus residence room.
- when employees are in a private office or socially distanced communal office space.
- when using appropriately spaced cardio machines in the Student Recreation Center.
- when student-athletes have practice on their respective sport’s field or court.
- when jogging on the Woodall Trail.
Students unwilling to adhere to EIU’s masking policy will not be granted access to shared academic spaces, such as classrooms, labs, studios, or other buildings or offices on campus. Students who repeatedly violate the EIU masking policy will be sent to the Office of Student Accountability and face disciplinary action. Employees unwilling to adhere to EIU's masking policy will also be subject to disciplinary action.