Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association Oral History Project
Eastern Illinois University owes its legacy to you: the people who made the place. The time you spent here, and the memories you made along the way, have left a legacy and shape the story of our school.
That’s why we’re excited to partner with Publishing Concepts Inc. (PCI) on the Oral History Project to gather stories from our alumni community about their experiences at Eastern Illinois. As a tribute to past and future Panther generations, we invite you to share memories celebrating the people and events that have impacted your journey. Your stories will be recorded, transcribed, and, along with submitted photos, published as a book that will be available for purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions by Alumni
- I received an email/postcard/phone call asking for my personal information and a story about Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association, Inc. Tell me more about the project.
Does Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association, Inc. benefit from this at all?
- We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an Oral History Publication for Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association, Inc. PCI is a family owned business based in Dallas, TX that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows us to hear about your personal experiences from your time at Eastern Illinois University and how the school helped shape your life since then. And, while we have you on the phone, we want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes?
- Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni
- Legacy – sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of our school
- Revenue – generates membership revenue for alumni programs
- Pride – wearing apparel shows support and love for our school
I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law. Upon completion of the project, PCI will redact PII (Personal Identifiable Information) from any and all electronic files that we have supplied or were produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Oral History Project.
Can I choose what information prints in the publication?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about your time at Eastern Illinois University. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association, Inc. at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
- The only information that is included in the publication is your name, class year and degree, along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your alumni record for the school/alumni association. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before 3/3/2023 by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
I shared a story and the representative said I could send a photo. How do I do this?
- You can call back at any time before 3/3/2023 to share your story.
Can anyone purchase a book?
- You will receive an email with a link to upload one photo (black and white or color) plus a caption. If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send a physical photo in to be printed (note: the photo will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
I ordered a book / package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
- The Eastern Illinois University Alumni Association, Inc. Oral History Publication is available for sale only to Eastern Illinois University alumni.
- Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.