Panther Service Day
12th Annual Panther Service Day
April 26, 2014
The Latest? Join us this year for a fantastic celebration of service and care for our great community! We will have a special kick off ceremony starting at 11:40 a.m. featuring a youth dance presentation and a welcome from various leaders! We will recognize outstanding volunteers from throughout this semester! So cool!
Individual Volunteers for April 26: CLICK HERE to register for all events! Just look for the projects that say “Panther Service Day.” See descriptions of projects below. We can be the difference!
Group Volunteers (Teams of 6 volunteers or More): Please CLICK HERE to register your group today! See below for choices!
Celebrate and Serve With Us!
Legacy of Service
With 10 different volunteer sites (and the potential of more), all volunteers can find a fun, enjoyable way to give back! This year, a free cookout is provided for all volunteers by the EIU Alumni Association. The cookout is a great way to meet other volunteers and celebrate service. This year, we will have special guests and performances! This FREE cookout is from 11 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. outside of Blair Hall. All volunteers are encouraged to check-in between 11-11:30 a.m. and enjoy a free cookout. Service projects will start at 11:45 a.m. and all projects will be complete by 4 p.m.
Join The Fun
Panther Service Day is happy to provide transportation to all service sites and a free T-shirt to the first 200 volunteers that check-in. Alumni, students and staff are all encouraged to participate in this exciting day! Over 500 volunteers are expected to attend! We are "Volunteers On the Prowl!"
Panther Service Day Volunteer Options
- Mattoon Trash Bash: This project will involve volunteers traveling to Mattoon area to help with a town-wide trash bash. There will be a number of sites and EIU students will be assigned to a specific area together. Let's work together to help keep our community clean!
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore: This project includes traveling to our newly opened Habitat for Humanity ReStore here in Charleston. Habitat for Humanity ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers that sell new and gently used furniture, home accessories, building materials, and appliances to the public. Volunteers will help set-up this newly opened store and sort through donations. Excellent fun!
- 5K Foot Pursuit: This project includes helping at a 5K run that will benefit local youth through the "Shop with a Cop" program. Volunteers will help at cheering stations as well as provide needed support on the race. This will be a great fun day! Join us in the 1st annual 5K Foot Pursuit!
- Salvation Army Thrift Store: This project will involve volunteers traveling to the local Salvation Army and helping with various tasks. Volunteers will help sort through donations which will allow this agency to better serve their clients. Come and lend a hand!
- Douglas Hart Nature Center: This project will involve volunteers traveling to our local nature center, Douglas Hart. Volunteers will work outside and help with various conservation efforts. Please wear old clothes and get ready to make a difference!
- Teen Reach: This project will involve volunteers traveling to the local Teen Reach center and helping with various tasks. Volunteers will help clean the center as well as assist with breaking ground on their summer garden. Fun ways to give back to an agency that helps so many kids!
- Giving Garden: This project will involve volunteers traveling to our local Giving Garden site where volunteers will get to help us plant and paint as we prepare this garden for the summer. All produce raised at the garden are donated to the local food pantry! Be a part of this fun!
- Ashmore Painting and More: This project includes traveling to the local community of Ashmore and assisting the community in a variety of projects including painting, washing volunteer fire trucks and more. Ashmore is a wonderful local community and your help would be fantastic!
- HOPE: This project includes traveling to the storage units for HOPE, our local domestic violence supoprt agency. Volunteers will help sort through the units and provide greatly needed support. Your help would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!
- Standing Stone: This project will involve volunteers traveling to the Standing Stone agency and helping with various tasks. Volunteers will help sort donations and provide additional support to this important grassroots agency!
CLICK HERE to register for any of the above events!
Who We Are
Eastern Illinois University is proud to host the 12th Annual Panther Service Day on Saturday, April 26, 2014. This annual day of volunteering and service began in 2003, when EIU Student Government initiated an effort to improve the relationship between EIU students and the citizens of Charleston through encouragement of acts of volunteerism and service in the community.
Since then, Panther Service Day has evolved into a large-scale event allowing EIU students, staff, alumni and community members to work side-by-side through volunteerism and service in Charleston and the surrounding area. Panther Service Day was awarded the prestigious Governor's Hometown Award in 2004 for its contributions to our community.