B.S. in Organizational and Professional Development
(previously Career and Organizational Studies)
Organizational and Professional Development (OPD) is a Bachelor's of Science degree in the Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences, School of Technology. The OPD program is a flexible, convenient, and affordable way to earn your Bachelor's degree.
The OPD program offers degree completion opportunities online, and in Charleston, Champaign, and Danville.
The OPD coursework advances understanding of the human aspects of organizations (people, processes, and practices) and develops your skills to meet the challenges of the workplace in ways that both strengthen your contribution to the organization's ongoing development and better manage your own professional development. The OPD program is designed to complement the skills you already have by providing a broader conceptual and theoretical framework for understanding organizations, individual professional development and the interaction between the two.
The OPD program can help you:
- Acquire knowledge and skills which will help you personally as well as professionally
- Become more marketable in today's competitive labor market
- Advance in your chosen career
- Network with fellow students and area professionals
- Feel more confident in your professional and personal aspirations
- Complete an educational program you started but never finished
- Prepare you for a master's degree
OPD students emerge from the program capable of directing the work of others, initiating organizational development activities, and overseeing organizational functions. OPD prepares students for positions as supervisors, project leaders, change agents, and trainers in a variety in for-profit and not-for-profit organizations.
Our graduates work in a variety of organizations including: