EIU Summer Institute for Higher Learning
The Eastern Illinois University Summer Institute for Higher Learning (SIHL) is a bridge program EIU offers to select freshman students each year by invitation only through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (1-877-581-2348). This five-week program is designed to help students make a successful transition from the high school environment to the EIU college environment.
2015 Program Dates
Sunday, June 14 - Saturday, July 18, 2015
- University-Level Classes (Earn six credit hours toward graduation)
- Seminar Sessions
- Study Groups
- Living Learning Community (On-campus housing)
- One-on-One Academic Coaching and Library Research Assistance
- Students get to start college early.
- Students learn about campus resources and become familiar with campus prior to starting in the fall.
- Student connect with other students and build relationships with professors and advisors ahead of time.
- Classes students take during the program will count toward their degree, even if they are undecided.
- Students receive individual academic support and advising throughout the year.
- Students will lock in reduced four-year tuition rate for previous academic year.
Students are offered a place in the Summer Institute as part of their conditional acceptance offer from EIU for the following fall semester. This means participants must successfully complete the summer program requirements in order to continue at EIU in the fall.
- Students must earn 2.5 or better GPA (based on a 4 point scale).
- Students must earn at least a C in both courses.
- Students must attend all mandatory classes, workshops and other activities.
- Students must pay tuition and room and board in the amount of $3,233.56 (*correct amount, adjusted from brochure) for the summer program (financial aid may be available).
- Students must adhere to the University Student Conduct Code and Housing Rules.
- Students must meet additional GPA, completion, and attendance requirements during their first full academic year at EIU for continued enrollment. A complete description of these requirements can be found here.
The Summer Institute is designed to challenge students and requires dedication, perseverance and a significant amount of time, but it will be worth the effort!
SIHL Registration Form - ENROLL HERE!!
If you have received an invitation from the EIU Office of Admissions regarding this program and are interested in participating, please complete this form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to questions that are commonly asked.
Click here for a bank of helpful documents for students who have already enrolled in the 2015 Summer Institute.
Click here to view short videos of actual SIHL 14 faculty describing their courses!
To view the video of the SIHL 2014 informational webinar click here.
To view photos from past SIHLs click here.