2015 SIHL cohort
EIU Summer Institute for Higher Learning
The SIHL is a special bridge program offered to students who would like to get a head start on their college career before other incoming freshmen students arrive in the fall. This 5-week program, running June 26-July 30, 2016, provides individualized advisement, instruction, and coaching by faculty, professional staff, and high-achieving upperclassmen students in a cohesive learning environment. Students take actual college courses and are given the opportunity to earn 6 credits of general education courses that count toward graduation. The SIHL is designed to support student transition to the college environment and EIU’s campus without distractions of a traditional fall start.
If you have received an invitation from the EIU Office of Admissions regarding this program and are interested in participating:
2016 Program Dates
Sunday, June 26 - Friday, July 29, 2016
- Begin your regular college career in the fall with six credits already under your belt.
- Receive individualized support from the campus Writing Center while navigating your first university-level writing intensive course (ENG 1001G).
- Participation in your first university-level research fair.
- Build the academic skills necessary to succeed in the university environment through distinct seminars.
- Live among other freshmen students, high-achieving upperclassmen, and graduate staff member in a Living Learning Community, complete with holistic development workshops, and organized study groups.
- One-on-one academic coaching and special assistance in learning the ins-and-outs of library research with a dedicated library staff.
- Introductions to several out of the classroom student clubs and organizations such as intramural sports, minority student organizations, and other student leadership organizations.
- Establish a group of EIU friends before returning in the fall.
- Learn about campus, and its resources before diving headlong into a full schedule.
- Multiple community service opportunities.
- Connect with other students and build relationships with key faculty and staff members who will continue to support you throughout your time at the university.
- Academic incentives and prizes as well as other motivational techniques.
- Lock in their tuition at the 2015-2016 rate.
- Continued academic support, coaching, and advisement throughout your full freshman year.
- Eastern Illinois University t-shirt.
- Students must attend all mandatory classes, workshops, study tables, and other assigned activities.
- Students must pay tuition, room and board (12 meals per week; $30 dining dollars included), approximately $3,302.53 (financial aid may be available).
- Students must adhere to Student Conduct Code and Housing policies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to questions that are commonly asked.
Click here for a bank of helpful documents for students who have already enrolled in the 2015 Summer Institute.
Click here to view short videos of actual SIHL 14 faculty describing their courses!
To view the video of the SIHL 2014 informational webinar click here.
To view photos from past SIHLs click here.