On the EIU campus there are 21 emergency phones, located in strategic areas that are in the paths of most foot traffic. These phones are easily identifiable by the blue light that is always lighted and is about 7 feet off the ground. A push of the button activates the phone and the blue light flashes. A police dispatcher will answer "911" and ask if police, fire or medical is needed. Whether there is a voice answer or not, an Eastern Illinois University Police Officer will be immediately dispatched to the activated phone to check on the well being of the caller. These phones are for EMERGENCIES only and prank activation will result in prosecution of the offender.
Locations and Map
- Northeast of Burl Ives, near 9th St. & Johnson Ave.
- West exterior of Phipps Lecture Hall (Physical Science Bldg.)
- Northeast of McAfee, Between McAfee & Food Court
- Northwest corner of UPD
- Northwest corner of Rec Center / at J-Lot & alley exit
- Southeast of Lantz, near south outdoor basketball court
- Southwest gate O'Brien Stadium
- Physical Plant, near fuel pump
- Northwest of Life Science Annex
- South Quad, near south side of Lumpkin
- Northeast of Klehm Hall, on 7th St. near Stop sign
- East side of Tarble Arts, 9th St. & Cleveland Ave.
- Southwest corner of W-Lot, near University Apts.
- Northwest corner of University Apts., near mailboxes
- Northwest corner of University Court, near swimming pool
- Northwest of Carman Hall, south of 9th St. Hall on 9th St.
- Greek Court Road, SE corner of 9th St. Lot, by the bus stop
- Greek Court, south of Building 2 (Alpha Sigma Alpha)
- Greek Court, North of Building 3 (Alpha Phi)
- Greek Court, Building 8 South
- Greek Court, Building 8 North