Our Mission and Goals
Minority Affairs Mission
Our office endeavors to pursue, promote, and maintain programs that will heighten the awareness, presence, and success of minorities and other under-represented groups on the campus of Eastern Illinois University.
“Nuestra oficina se concentra en atener las metas de promulgar, anunciar y mantener programas que demonstran el conocimiento, la presencia y el éxito de las minorias y otros grupos que se encuentran deficientemente representados en la Eastern Illinois University.”
- Increase effectiveness of minority affairs area by:
- To increase awareness and appreciation of multiculturalism across the academic community.
- Develop and promote events that recognize diverse cultural heritage.
- Offer diversity education workshops for resident assistants, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Provide more opportunities for faculty and staff of color to interact with students of color.
- Expanding Latino and other cultural programmatic activities.
- Expand and improve the Gateway program.
- Create follow-up program for Gateway program alumni.
- Establish yearly focus groups for program effectiveness.
- Expand and improve the TRiO program.
- Increase faculty participation in the faculty mentor program.
- Increase number of students participating in all programs.
- Improve retention and graduation rates of minority students.
- Create an accurate database for all students of color.
- Provide opportunities for students of color to link their education with diverse experiences (internships, study abroad, NSE, etc.).
- Improve minority student recruitment.
- Work with TRiO Upward Bound programs, high schools and alumni for additional recruitment initiatives.
- Assist with improvement of yield rate for incoming students of color.
- Increase the number of grants awarded to EIU for support of minority and other underrepresented student groups and implements them.
- Increase development activities for the minority affairs area.
- Monitor and improve campus climate.