This is an honorary club here at Eastern Illinois University.
- Minimum 3.25 gpa to join
- Active participation is determined by a point system and each student will need to obtain 7 points per semester to be considered an active member.
- Three active semesters to obtain graduation cords.
- $5 per semester fee
KSS Honors Club Outstanding Teacher Award
The Kinesiology and Sports Studies Honors Club recognizes an outstanding faculty member from the Department of Kinesiology and Sports Studies each year. The award recipient will be honored at the yearly awards banquet.
The primary goal of the EIU Kinesiology and Sports Studies Honor Club is to provide instruction in the skills, knowledge, and teaching strategies needed for careers in teaching, coaching, athletic training, fitness, exercise science, cardiac rehabilitation, and/or sport management.
Kinesiology is the scientific study of human movement as it pertains to physical activity, exercise, and sport-skill performance. During the last 20 years, physical education has become an integral and essential part of cultivating a healthy and competitive society, with initiatives and programs impacting corporations, public schools, and communities nationwide.
Fall 2014 Meetings
Wednesday, September 10, 5 pm (location to be posted later)
Thursday, October 9, 5 pm (location to be posted later)
Wednesday, November 12, 5 pm (location to be posted later)
Thursday, December 4, 5 pm, Union Bowling Lanes
Images from the 2013 Shannon Run (Click here for more information)
Shannon McNamara was an Eastern Illinois University student who was tragically murdered during the summer of 2001. While at Eastern Shannon was a Physical Education major, a member of the Physical Education Honors Club, a student worker at the SRC, and a member of the Alpha Phi sorority. Shannon was and still is a true inspiration!
All proceeds will go towards the Shannon McNamara Scholarship which is awarded to a Kinesiology and Sports Studies major (formerly the "Physical Education Department").
Mark Kattenbraker: email@example.com 217-581-8549
Jake Emmett: firstname.lastname@example.org 217-581-7113
President: John Curtis - email@example.com
Vice President: Dylan Scott - firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Thalia Frederick - email@example.com
Treasurer: Francisco Soto - firstname.lastname@example.org
KSS Honors Graduation Cord Requirements:
Before Fall 2011: to be considered as an active member you must have been active for at least three consecutive semesters or served as an officer for one academic school year.
Active is defined as:
Participating in a community service project and serving on at least one committee.
If a student is student teaching and still meets all of the requirements during a semester, that particular semester can be considered one of the “three consecutive semesters” required for meeting the criteria.
Must have attended at least two meetings a semester.
Fall 2011: to be considered an active member you must attain 7 points throughout a semester. Half of the points need to come through meetings and the other half must be met through activities and projects. Students must be active for at least 3 consecutive semesters before awarded a chord at graduation.
- Meetings: ½ point
- Activity after meetings: ½ point
- Intramural Team: 1 point
- Athletic Events: ½ point (must find an officer at event)
- Upcoming Spring events: TBA
- Fitness Class: ½ point (up to 2 points)
- Upcoming Spring events: TBA
- ATP assessment: ½ point
- Content Review Session: ½ point
- Winner of t-shirt design: 1 point
Service (Download volunteer form here):
- Special Olympics Volunteer: 2 points
- Health Fair Booth Volunteer: ½ point (for 1 hour shift)
- November 14th @ 9a-2p
- Shannon Booth Volunteer: ½ point
- Carl Sandburg Jog-a-thon: 1 point
- Canned goods: ½ point
- Girls on the Run Volunteer: 1 point
- IAHPERD Volunteer: 2 point
- November 15-16th
- Blood drive: ½ point
- Volunteering (with documentation form): ½-1 point
- Extra work for committee: ½ point
- Donating Sports Equipment: ½ point/donation (up to 1 point)
- IAHPERD -www.iahperd.org