- EIU is pleased to welcome an intensive English language center to Eastern Illinois University this Fall! Contact Kevin Vicker at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!
- Beautiful colors at EIU in October on our 320 acre campus!
- Founded in 1895, EIU features a unique historic castle known as "Old Main".
EIU partners with 36 universities and colleges around the world. Click
here for a comprehensive list.
To read about EIU's U.S. News ranking increase in 2013
Click here for information about the Master of Science in Sustainable Energy Program.
- We are proud to honor international alumni who exemplify Eastern Illinois University's definition of a global citizen as EIU Global Ambassadors.
- New first-time undergraduates earning a minimum 3.5 (out of 4.0) cumulative grade point average will receive a tuition rate which is equal to the current in-state tuition rate!
- Eastern Illinois University is comprised of 9,700 students and 223 international students located in the safe and friendly community of Charleston, IL.
Welcome to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) website.
Eastern Illinois University, located in the east central Illinois community of Charleston, provides the best undergraduate and graduate education of any public university the region. EIU's strengths are evidenced by an array of excellent education, business, technology, engineering, arts and sciences programs. The University's more than 9,000 students and over 270 international students come from 46 nations.
Why Should I Attend EIU?
- Strong Academics: US News and World Reports (2014) ranked EIU as the 4th highest public regional university in the Midwest United States. The University's high academic standing is reflected in high rates of student retention and graduation rates, alumni job placement, and satisfaction among alumni and employers.
- Personal Attention from Distinguished Faculty: EIU features a small faculty-student ratio of 1:15 and 100% of professors have attained their PHD. Research collaboration between students and professors is strongly encouraged.
- Safe and Friendly: EIU is located in a safe and friendly small town with many opportunities to get involved in the university and local community.
- Prestigious Scholarships Available: Scholarships for high qualifying international students are available.
Where is EIU?
EIU is within three hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis, and within easy driving distance of Champaign-Urbana. Convenient rail service to downtown Chicago and Champaign-Urbana is available through the Amtrak train station in nearby Mattoon.
Featured Partnership for Engineering Programs
EIU features a 2+2 partnership with the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, one of the best universities for engineering in the world. Students study for 2 years at Eastern Illinois Univerisity and two years at UIUC. See here for more details.