Graduate Checklist for Admission
- Application for Admission1
- Official records (transcripts or mark sheets) beginning with post-secondary school. Transcripts must bear the seal and signature of the appropriate school official, and be accompanied by an official English translation if necessary. A minimum grade point average of a 2.75 on a 4.0 scale is required. All transcripts become property of this University. Transfer students are strongly encouraged to submit course descriptions or syllabi as this information will greatly expedite the transfer process.
- Official Entrance Examination Score (GRE, MAT, GMAT)2 These must be mailed directly from the testing center to OISS. The school code for Eastern Illinois University is 1199. Not all programs require an entrance examination.
- English Language Proficiency Requirement3: Official TOEFL, IELTS, STEP EIKEN; Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), or iTEP Academic Plus Examination (effective Fall 2014 admission cycle) mailed directly from the respective testing service. The school code for Eastern Illinois University is 1199. Test results are valid for two years only. Required scores are listed here. Please note, conditional admission is possible for students who have not met the English requirement.
- A completed International Student Financial Affidavit Form, documenting sufficient funding for the intended program of study. To see the total cost of one year of study, please see our Costs page.
- An I-20 Mailing Instructions Form telling International Programs where you would like your acceptance packet sent by regular mail if you are accepted.
- Non-refundable application fee of $30.00 U.S. in the form of a check, certified check or money order made payable to Eastern Illinois University.
1Admission deadlines are as follows: May 15 for Fall Admission/October 15 for Spring Admission. Some graduate programs have earlier deadlines.
2Not all graduate programs require admission tests. Please check the Graduate Degrees website to see if a test is required.
3English Proficiency Requirements can be waived under the following circumstances:
You have successfully completed 24 semester hours of academic credit from a U.S. college or university, or
You have completed Level 112 courses with a Certificate of Proficiency from an ELS Language Center in the U.S., or
You have successfully completed two consecutive years of courses in a country where English is the primary language and medium of instruction (within the past two years).
- You have successfully completed Graduate Student English (Level 7) at the Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) at Southern Illinois University - Carbondale.
You have successfully completed the Proficiency Level, Certificate of Achievement from Kaplan International Colleges.
- You have successfully completed the Advanced Proficiency Level (APL) at one of The Language Company centers in the United States.