University Apartments Application Timeline
- Return the enclosed housing application and a $50 non-refundable application fee to establish a priority for an apartment assignment. You have to be accepted to the university to start the assignment process.
- A State of Illinois criminal background check is required for all non-student adult spouse occupants for the apartments prior to receiving assignment. There is a $18 fee for background checks. The fee and completed background check form must accompany the application. Check are made payable to Eastern Illinois University. Criminal background check forms are available at http://www.eiu.edu/housing/universityapts.php, or by calling 217-581-5111
- A contract will be mailed to you in March (fall semester) or October (spring semester).
- An apartment assignment letter will be mailed to you in June (fall semester) or December (spring semester).
- The deadline to cancel the contract is July 1 for students moving in to University Apartments at the onset of the fall semester or Dec. 1 for students moving in to University Apartments at the onset of the spring semester.
- A housing down payment of $250 is due Aug. 1 for the fall semester regardless of financial aid. If you are applying for the spring semester only the $250 down payment is due Dec. 1.
Students requiring special accommodations should contact Disability Services (217-581-6583) as well as University Housing (217-581-5111) or Dining Services (217-581-5733) at their earliest convenience in order to discuss any particular needs before coming to campus.