University Apartments Application Timeline
- Return the enclosed housing application and a $50 non-refundable application fee to establish a priority for an apartment assignment. You have to be accepted to the university to start the assignment process.
- A State of Illinois criminal background check is required for all non-student adult spouse occupants for the apartments prior to receiving assignment. There is a $18 fee for background checks. The fee and completed background check form must accompany the application. Check is made payable to Eastern Illinois University.
- A contract will be mailed to you in April (fall semester) or October (spring semester).
- An apartment assignment letter and a copy of the contract will be sent to you in June (fall semester) or November (spring semester).
- The deadline to cancel the contract is July 1 for students moving in to University Apartments at the onset of the fall semester or Dec. 1 for students moving in to University Apartments at the onset of the spring semester.
- A housing down payment of $300 is due Aug. 1 for the fall semester regardless of financial aid. If you are applying for the spring semester only the $300 down payment is due Dec. 1.
Students requiring special accommodations should contact Disability Services (217-581-6583) as well as University Housing (217-581-5111) or Dining Services (217-581-5733) at their earliest convenience in order to discuss any particular needs before coming to campus.
University Housing and Dining Services at Eastern Illinois University makes housing and roommate assignments based upon a student’s biological sex. We recognize that some students may have specific housing needs or concerns that will not be addressed by this practice. If you would like assistance in identifying the best housing options for you, please contact Kelly Miller, Associate Director (217-581-7718). Kelly will discuss your needs with you over the phone or in person to determine how best to match your needs with the housing options available. All information will be kept confidential to the fullest extent possible and shared with University staff only on a need-to-know basis.