Night Assistant Position Description
Overview: The purpose of the Night Assistant position is to assist the hall staff in providing an extra set of eyes and ears in the residence halls during the overnight hours of 12 am – 4 am and to serve as a resource to the residents of the hall by provide a sense of safety and security. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Working between 2-4 nights per week (4 hour nightly shift) in a particular residence hall on campus.
- Performing security rounds through the common areas of the hall each hour, including the lobby, basement, and outdoor areas to ensure doors and windows are secured and there are no individuals o facilities preventing utmost levels of security.
- Responding to all radio calls, including hourly radio checks and any calls for assistance made by the student supervisor, another NA, or UPD.
- Responding to concerns brought forth by residents or other potentially threatening situations that are observed.
- Confronting residents regarding violations of hall, state, or federal laws and documenting the situation appropriately.
- Arriving to work by 11:45 p.m. each scheduled shift or finding someone to cover a shift when one may be unable to work.
- Maintaining confidentiality in regards to information obtained about incidents or individuals except to proper authorities.
- Attending and participating in monthly Night Assistant scheduling meetings throughout the semester, staff socials, and meeting with the Night Assistant Coordinator when requested.
- Expressing friendliness and politeness to residents and staff.
- Encouraging and maintaining good working relationships with other Night Assistants, Desk Assistants, BSW staff, RA’s, hall directors, and other members of the University Housing staff and the University Police Department.
- Complying with all expectations and requirements outlined in the “Night Assistant Manual”.
- Any other duties assigned by a member of the Night Assistant Program supervisory staff that ensures that the program is effective and meeting the expectations set forth by the Office of University Housing and Dining.
- Any of these duties are subject to change based on the needs of the program at the discretion of the Night Assistant Coordinator.