Eastern Illinois University Logo

Frequently Asked Questions


About the HERC

AlcoholEdu & Haven

Collegiate Recovery Community

Employment Opportunities

HERC Staff Forms

Information & Resources

Online Assessments


Printable Posters & Handouts

Programs & Events

Request Forms


Hours and Location

FacebookTwitterYoutubeGoogle Plus

Many of your questions about the HERC can be found here. Look through our FAQs to see if your question is already here!


What does the HERC do?

The HERC is a place for students to come and get free information about various health related topics. Because the HERC is a resource center, we encourage all students to see what we have to offer. The HERC can provide information on nutrition, sexual health, alcohol, tobacco, stress, relaxation, cold and flu, and any other health and wellness related topic. Students are welcome to take advantage of all the HERC can do for them. While programs may change from year to year, we always have something that is useful and helpful for you!

Where is the HERC located?

The HERC is in the Booth House on 4th Street (Next to Jerry's Pizza). Come visit us!

What is the difference between the HERC and Health Service?

The HERC is actually a part of Health Service. The difference is Health Service is treatment based, while the HERC is information based. Health Service is where you should go to see a provider if you are ill, need medicine or other physical treatment. The HERC is where you can get free information about health related topics. There are no providers at the HERC, but we do have plenty of educators!

I want to make an appointment at the clinic. How do I do that?

To make an appointment at the Medical Clinic, you can call Health Service at 217-581-2727.

How can I request a program?

You can request a program by completing our Program Request Form. For more information about the programs the HERC offers or what kind of programs we offer, visit the Program Request page.

I have a question about AlcoholEdu. Where do I go?

Please visit the AlcoholEdu website.

I am interested in becoming involved in health and/or want to volunteer. What can I do?

We have just the group for you! The Peer to Peer: EIU's Peer Health Educators group is a great way to learn about health and be able to volunteer and help others. Please visit the Peer Education page for more information about what a Peer Educator is and does. Other opportunities for student involvement include our Health Service Advisory Board, our Tobacco Coalition, and our Alcohol and Other Drug Coalition. You can contact the Leadership and Student Engagement Coordinator for more information about these opportunities.

I am looking for alcohol information. Where do I go?

Please visit our Alcohol Education page.

I am looking for financial information. Where do I go?

Please visit our Financial Health page.

I am looking for nutrition information. Where do I go?

Please visit our Nutrition page.

I am looking for sexual health information. Where do I go?

Please visit our Sexual Health page.

I am looking for tobacco information. Where do I go?

Please visit our Tobacco Education page.