Instructions for IRS Data Retrieval 2014-2015
Here are the instructions for adding tax information using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool after your FAFSA has been submitted. For more information, watch this tutorial and/or follow the steps below.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov, click “Start Here” and log in
- Click “Make FAFSA Corrections” and enter PIN and password
- Click “Financial Information”
- For the question “have your parents completed their IRS income tax return” choose “already completed”
- Choose the correct answer to the questions in the pop-up box. If “none of the above,” you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Select answer to “which parent are you,” enter parent’s PIN and click “Link to IRS,” click “OK”
- Enter information requested (name, address, etc.) and click “submit” (all information must match IRS records)
- Check “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA” and click “Transfer Now,” click “OK”
- Repeat for student if the student has filed taxes
- On FAFSA webpage, click “Sign and Submit” and follow instructions to submit the changes
* Independent students will not need to submit parent information, but will follow the same steps for entering their own tax information.
* Do not make any adjustments to the tax information once it has been transferred to the FAFSA. If any information is incorrect, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.