Here you'll find professional publications and journals related to faculty development, and teaching and learning. On this page, the publications/journals are broken into three categories:
- General or Interdisciplinary Journals on Teaching and Learning
- Journals Related to Faculty Development
- Discipline-Specific Journals on Teaching and Learning
NOTE: This list incorporates, and adds to, journal lists developed by Laura L. B. Border (University of Colorado), Dakin R. Burdick (Indiana University), Jeremy Hall (Schoolcraft College), Katherine D. Wigley (Indiana University Southeast) and Tom Pusateri (Kennesaw State University). Journals are listed alphabetically within each category. Special thanks to Kennesaw State University’s Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning for their comprehensive list of journals.
- Academic Exchange Quarterly
- Provides ideas, research, methods and pedagogical theories leading to effective instruction and learning — regardless of level or subject.
- Active Learning in Higher Education
- Devoted to all aspects of development, innovation, and good practice in higher education, including the use of Communication and Information Technologies (C&IT).
- Arts and Humanities in Higher Education
- Serves the international community of arts and humanities educators by publishing significant opinion and research into contemporary issues of teaching and learning within the domain. These will include inquiries into policy, the curriculum and appropriate forms of assessment, as well as developments in method such as electronic modes of scholarship and course delivery.
- Cognition and Instruction
- An interdisciplinary publication devoted to cognitive investigations of instruction and learning.
- Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching
- Publishes a collection of peer-reviewed essays from presentations at the annual STLHE (Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education) Conference.
- College Teaching
- Cross-disciplinary journal that focuses on teachers can improve student learning through practical classroom strategies.
- InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teaching
- InSight emphasizes the enhancement of post-secondary education through the professional exchange of scholarly approaches and perspectives applicable to the enrichment of teaching and learning.
- Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning
- Publishes relevant, interesting and challenging articles of research, analysis, or promising practice related to all aspects of implementing problem-based learning in K–12 and post-secondary classrooms.
- International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Provides broad coverage of higher education pedagogy and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) across diverse content areas, educational institutions, and levels of instructional expertise. The specific emphasis of IJTLHE is the dissemination of knowledge for improving higher education pedagogy.
- Features peer-reviewed articles on instructional research, instructional philosophy, pedagogy, learning theory, and other significant issues related to excellence in learning and teaching. In addition to these feature articles, Inventio also includes shorter articles on classroom practice and response and dialog sections about issues raised in the feature articles.
- Journal of Classroom Interaction
- Devoted to empirical investigations and theoretical papers dealing with observation techniques, research on student and teacher behavior, and other issues relevant to the domain of classroom interaction.
- Journal of Cognitive Affective Learning
- Publishes articles on the development of teaching practices and programs that promote the connection between emotions and learning.
- Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (JoSoTL)
- Encourages all instructors to engage in the discussion of the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL), and to become involved in the sharing of knowledge and learning about the teaching-learning process. The journal provides a publication outlet for research in the scholarship of teaching and learning, and an online forum for engagement with the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Journal on Excellence in College Teaching
- Provides a scholarly, written forum for discussion by faculty about all areas affecting teaching and learning, and gives faculty the opportunity to share proven, innovative pedagogies and thoughtful, inspirational insights about teaching.
- Learning and Instruction
- Multi-disciplinary journal that provides a platform for the publication of the research in the areas of learning, development, instruction and teaching.
- Learning Communities Journal
- A peer-reviewed journal published by and for faculty, faculty developers, and administrators at universities and two- and four-year colleges to share research about, experiences with, and student and faculty learning through learning communities. The Journal provides a scholarly, written forum for discussion about all areas affecting faculty and student learning communities, and gives community participants the opportunity to share proven, innovative strategies and thoughtful, inspirational insights.
- New Directions for Teaching and Learning
- Offers a comprehensive range of ideas and techniques for improving college teaching based on the experience of seasoned instructors and on the latest findings of educational and psychological researchers.
- Teaching in Higher Education
- Addresses the roles of teaching, learning and the curriculum in higher education in order to explore and clarify the intellectual challenges which they present.
- The Teaching Professor
- This newsletter covers a broad range of teaching and learning topics, providing innovative strategies, techniques, and approaches to facilitate learning and reflective analysis of educational issues of concern.
- Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal
- A forum for conversations intended to foster the improvement of adult teaching and learning. TD facilitates the multi-disciplinary exchange of ideas, actions, and results of innovative and professional practice in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- This flagship journal of the National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development (NISOD) disseminates practitioner-written descriptions of successful teaching and learning practices and strategies, programs and initiatives each week of the academic year.
The Journal of Faculty Development
- Reporting the latest in professional development activities at the 2-year college, 4-year college, and university levels. -- A highly successful stand-by that addresses concerns for your most valuable resource, PEOPLE! It is the one medium in higher education strictly addressing both the practical and theoretical aspects of the planning, design, implementation and evaluation of practices and programs leading to effective and efficient institutions and individual.
To Improve the Academy: Resources for Faculty, Instructional, and Organizational Development
- To Improve the Academy is published annually by the Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network in Higher Education and is abstracted in ERIC documents and in Higher Education Abstracts. This annual publication has showcased articles demonstrating scholarly excellence in research, innovation, and integration in faculty, instructional, and organizational development. (Only available in print version – please visit Faculty Development office for copies)
- For an exhaustive list, please visit Kennesaw State University’s Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.