The MA in English at Eastern Illinois University is a two-year program offering four concentrations: Literary Studies, Literary Studies with Creative Writing Emphasis, Professional Writing, and Rhetoric and Composition.
An MA in English:
- improves ability to think critically and communicate effectively;
- expands and deepens understanding of literature, language, and communication;
- prepares for further graduate or professional education;
- enhances credentials for careers in teaching, writing and editing, government, or business.
- faculty/student ratio of nearly 1:1
- small classes
- attentive mentoring
- opportunities for internships, teaching experience, and independent study
- graduate faculty eager to share their research and creative interests with MA students while helping them develop as professionals in their chosen field.
Our graduates go on to:
- teach at two-year colleges
- write professionally in a wide range of businesses and institutions
- pursue advanced study in literature, creative writing, and composition/rhetoric.
Graduate Faculty in English
Graduate faculty members hold Ph.D. degrees from major universities and publish widely, in fields ranging from eco-criticism to new media. Active scholars and writers with numerous publications to their credit, graduate faculty members are also committed teachers who work closely with students and are readily available for consultation and discussion.