Faculty and Staff
Assistant Professor of English and Creative Writing for the Performing Arts
Please make an appointment to meet during office hours.
- Mondays: 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Skype: T & Th by appointment
- Latino Poetics: Essays on the Art of Poetry (University of New Mexico Press, forthcoming)
- Next Extinct Mammal: Poetry (Greenhouse Review Press, 2011)
- Exiled From the Throne of Night: Selected Translations of Luis Cernuda (Aureole Press, 2008)
Frequently Taught Courses
- Poetry Writing
- Literary Theory, Culture, & Criticism
Composition and Language
Ph.D., English, Texas Tech University
M.F.A., Creative Writing & Writing for the Performing Arts, University of California-Riverside
- Electronic Literature Organization
- Modern Language Association
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs
- Poetry and Poetics
- Queer Studies
- “For Icarus.” Quiddity, Vol. 7.2 Fall/Winter 2014. Print.
- “Dredging Apollo.” Quiddity, Vol. 7.2 Fall/Winter 2014. Print.
- “Starry Night.” Solo Novo, Fall. 2014. Print.
- “Self-Portrait.” Solo Novo, Fall 2014. Print.
- “Denouement.” Solo Novo, Fall 2014. Print.
- “Dead Bird.” Miramar No. 2 Sept. 2014. Print
- “Winter Song.” Miramar No. 2 Sept. 2014. Print.
- “Pilgrim.” Miramar No. 2 Sept. 2014. Print.
- “Girl With Prayer.” Boaat Press Vol. 2. 25 Sept. 2014. Web.
- “Antilian Landscape.” Boaat Press Vol. 2. 25 Sept. 2014. Web.
- “Nirvana.” Boaat Press Vol. 2. 25 Sept. 2014. Web.
- “Winter Landscape.” Luna Luna 14 Aug. 2014. Web.
Funding & Grants
- 2014 - 2015 Council on Faculty Research Award
- Fellow CantoMundo Latino Writers Collective
- Fellow, Napa Valley Writers’ Conference
- Fellow, Vermont Studio Center
- Fellow, Squaw Valley Community of Writers
- Resident Writer, Santa Fe Art Institute
- Fellow, Lambda Literary Foundation Writer’s Retreat
- Fellow, Idyllwild Arts Program
- C0-Chair, Women's History Awareness Month Cmte, Eastern Illnois University (2014 - 2015)
- Co-Chair, University Professionals of Illinois, Diversity Adhoc Cmte, Eastern Illinois University (2014 - 2015)
- Editorial Director and Founder of S&Q. Stories & Queer, a literary reading series whose mission is to create safe storytelling spaces for poets & writers of color in underrepresented areas of the country.
- Editorial Experience:
2014 - Present: Poetry Editor, Cobalt Review
2014 - Present: Poetry Editor, Luna Luna Magazine
2012 - Present: Poetry Editor, The Cossack Review
2011 - Present: Founder/Publisher, Codex Journal