EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
President Eisenhower signs the Federal Highway Act creating the interstate road system.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline - Postwar United States (1945-1968)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Modern Era (1946-Present)
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- WNBQ Chicago became the country's first all-color television station.
- Patrick Flannery, founder of the Railway Clerks and Freight Handlers Union in 1902 died in Chicago.
- President Eisenhower makes a speech on agriculture in Peoria, the only Illinois speech of his campaign for reelection.
U.S. Historical Events:
- Autherine Lucy, an African-American student was expelled from the University of Alabama.
- Supreme Court banned segregation on public transportation.
- Bedloe's Island is renamed Liberty Island.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- Frank Lloyd Wright design for the Guggenheim Museum in New York began construction.
- Marilyn Monroe marries Arthur Miller.
- Elvis Presley earns his first gold album award.
- Hungarian revolution against the Soviet Union.
- Olympic Winter Games are held in Cortina D'Ampezzo, Italy. The Soviet Union makes its Olympic Winter Games debut.
- Prince Rainier III of Monaco marries Grace Kelly.