EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
The United States Post Office introduces the first Highway Post Office bus.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline -Great Depression and WWII (1929-1945)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Depression and WWII (1929-1945)
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- British scientist Howard Foley and Norman Heatley, brought penicillin to the USDA Northern Laboratory in Peoria for further study.
- Over 900,000 Illinois residents served in the Armed Forces during World War I.
- Crawford Eddy set up Chicago's first experimental TV station.
U.S. Historical Events:
- Mount Rushmore is completed.
- Senate passed a $5.98 billion supplemental Land-Lease bill.
- Japanese planes attack Pearl Harbor.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- The USO was formed.
- Jelly Roll Morton died.
- Cheerios is introduced as the first ready to eat cereal.