EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
20,407 Railway Postal Clerks earn an average salary of $2,067 per year.
The Newton Brothers steal 3 million in cash, jewelry and negotiable securities from the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul mail train.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline - Progressive Era to New Era (1900-1929)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Great War and Jazz Age (1914-1928)
- President Woodrow Wilson (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- League of Women Voters is organized.
- Al Capone moves to Chicago.
- Governor Lennington Small pardons 20 members of the communist Labor Party convicted under the Illinois Sedition Act.
U.S. Historical Events:
- Nineteenth Amendment is ratified giving women the right to vote.
- Prohibition goes into effect with the ratification of the Eighteenth Amendment.
- League of Nations meets for the first time.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- Adolph Levitt invented the first doughnut machine.
- Babe Ruth is sold to the New York Yankees.
- Baseball's Negro National League is formed.