EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
Steel RPO cars begin replacing dangerous wooden cars.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline -Progressive Era to New Era (1900-1929)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Progressive Era (1890-1913)
- President William Taft (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- Tornado destroys Grant Park.
- Harriet Monroe launches Poetry:A Magazine of Verse.
- First national convention of the Progressive Party is held in Chicago.
U.S. Historical Events:
- Overseas railroad connecting Key West to the mainland was completed.
- Clara Burton, founder of the American Red Cross died.
- Bull Moose Party is formed.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- Arthur R. Eldred becomes the first young man in America to earn the Eagle Scout Award.
- William Christopher Handy's "Memphis Blues" is published.
- Wilbur Wright died.