EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
The first five car train is introduced and carries more than 33 tons of mail.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline -National Expansion and Reform (1818-1880)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Reconstruction (1866-1877)
- President Ulysses S. Grant (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- Susan B. Anthony gave a speech in Chicago attacking the "social evils" calling for equality in marriage, the work place and the ballot box.
- Mary Todd Lincoln goes on trial for insanity.
- The Palmer House Hotel was built as the first fire proof building.
U.S. Historical Events:
- First Kentucky Derby.
- William M. "Boss" Tweed escaped form Ludlow Street Jail.
- President Grant signed the Civil Rights Act of 1875.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- George F. Green patents the electric dental drill.
- National Geographic President Gilbert H. Grosevnor was born.
- First direct link telegraph cable between the United States and Britain.