EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
First recorded schemes showing maps of states are used to help clerks learn mail distribution routes.
Postmaster General Blair establishes the first Railway Post Office cars.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline -National Expansion and Reform (1818-1880)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Reconstruction (1866-1877)
- President Andrew Johnson (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- Dancer Loie Fuller is born in Fullersburg, now Hindsale, Illinois.
- University of Illinois is founded.
- Secretary of State Sharon Tyndale created the State of Illinois Seal.
U.S. Historical Events:
- House of Representatives votes on impeaching President Johnson.
- General Order Number 11 designated May 30 as Memorial Day.
- The Fourteenth Amendment was ratified.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- William Edward Du Bois was born.
- Alexander Graham Bell begins teaching speech to the deaf.
- Vanity Fair magazine begins publication.