EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
First permanent U.S. Railway Post Office route is established between Chicago, Illinois and Clinton, Iowa.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline -National Expansion and Reform (1818-1880)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Civil War (1860-1865)
- President Abraham Lincoln. (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- Charleston, Illinois riots.
- Democratic National Convention is held in Chicago.
- Abraham Lincoln is elected to a second term for president.
U.S. Historical Events:
- First soldier buried at Arlington Cemetery.
- Confederates evacuate Atlanta, Georgia leaving it under Union control.
- President Lincoln signs Yosemite Land Grant.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- Brooklyn Atlantics won early baseball championship.
- George Perkins Marsh publishes "Man and Nature; or, Physical Georgraphy as Modified by Human Action".
- Nathaniel Hawthorne died.