EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
Act of Congress declares all railroads postal routes.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline -National Expansion and Reform (1818-1880)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Western Expansion and Reform (1829-1859)
- President Martin Van Burn (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- Cherokee Indians enter southern Illinois on the Trail of Tears.
- Illinois funds the Northern Cross Railroad to cross the Illinois River.
- Abraham Lincoln is reelected to the Illinois General Assembly.
U.S. Historical Events:
- 15,000 Cherokees were forced out of their ancestral home starting the Trail of Tears.
- Samuel Morse demonstrates his telegraph to President Van Buren and his cabinet.
- Samuel Morse developed an application of his telegraph for railroad signaling.
U.S. Cultural Events: