Why Choose EIU?
Chemistry is a small, close-knit department where students get significant one-on-one mentoring by full-time faculty. We celebrate the success of our students in being accepted into high-quality graduate school (PhD programs) and medical and professional schools or getting started immediately on careers in industry or high school teaching.
All 15 faculty members in the Chemistry Department have active research programs that welcome undergraduate student collaborators as early as freshman and sophomore years. Research projects include analysis of the gases evolved in the use of biomass for fuel, precise measurements of the actual forces involved when two single molecules collide, advanced photovoltaics (solar energy conversion), the biochemistry of disease development, organic synthesis of molecules with particular properties (light-sensitivity) or with targeted structures, control of reactions between single molecules in solid crystals, the construction of chemical sensors, and projects related to chemical education. The department also has an active summer research program right here on campus but also encourages students to pursue internships in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
Our students enjoy the use of modern instrumentation and a dedicated chemistry student computer lab for both laboratory and research classes. The department also houses a regional X-ray diffraction facility which students can be trained to use. (X-ray diffraction can be used to actually build a 3D image of single molecules in crystals.) In addition, the department has an Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) which can map the molecular contours of solid surfaces.
- BS Chemistry Degree with choices of concentrations:
- Chemistry (great preparation for MS and PhD programs)
- Biochemistry (a smart choice for pre-med and pre-pharmacy students)
- Management (if you like business and management but need a technical background)
- BA Chemistry Degree offering flexibility to pair with another major (double major).
- BS in Science with Teacher Certification (Chemistry specialization) - to prepare future high school chemistry teachers.
- Accelerated BS/MS Degree - get both a BS and MS degree in 5 years!
- MS Chemistry Degree - a two-year research and thesis-based graduate degree.
Our BS Chemistry (Chemistry Concentration) and BS Chemistry (Biochemistry Concentration) degrees are American Chemical Society (ACS) approved curricula. We also have a nationally recognized chapter of the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society, a professional, service-oriented, and fun organization!