Illinois Certification Testing
Resources for Test Preparation - TAP, Content, APT
(The following information is to serve as a guide. All information is subject to change based upon decisions of the Illinois State Board of Education. Only the Illinois State Board of Education can set policy regarding the granting of a teaching license.)
Registration information and materials for all Illinois Teacher Certification Tests are available online at http://www.icts.nesinc.com . Please watch test registration and score report deadlines carefully. When registering for all tests please be sure to report EIU as a score recipient.
Teacher Assessment Support Center (TASC)
- The Teacher Assessment Support Center in Room 2303 Buzzard Hall (http://www.eiu.edu/basicskillstest/center_index.php) ,provides resources to support the teacher certification needs of students. Resources include:
- practice exams and other study materials
- individualized study mentors
- study plan assistance
- TAP/ACT registration guidance
- The Reading Center in Room 1320 Buzzard Hall (http://www.eiu.edu/readctr/) offers an array of services for students preparing for the TAP/ACT Test, providing workshops and individualized programs. Excellent skill building programs are available to assist students with reading comprehension, vocabulary, grammar, and writing. The programs take students through practice test assessments with prescriptive exercises to build those skills essential to passing the TAP/ACT Test.
Student Success Center
- The Student Success Center located in 9th Street Hall provides a website (http://www.eiu.edu/~success/), workshops, and personal assistance to help with test taking strategies as you prepare for the TAP/ACT Test.
The Ballenger Teacher Center
- Booth Library - The Ballenger Teacher Center (http://www.library.eiu.edu/btc/) has numerous high school textbooks in Mathematics and English that might assist you in reviewing the concepts covered on the TAP/ACT Test.
Content Area Tests:
All students must pass the appropriate content area test(s) prior to beginning student teaching. Documentation of passing this test must be on file with the CEPS Dean's Office by the end of the semester immediately preceding Student Teaching. For this reason it is important that students pay special attention to the date that test results are reported. Consult your advisor about the proper time to take these tests. The Illinois Licensure Testing System provides preparation materials (study guides and test frameworks) at http://www.il.nesinc.com/IL_prepare_opener.asp
Assessment of Professional Teaching (APT):
All candidates for a teaching license in the State of Illinois must pass the Assessment of Professional Teaching (in addition to the Content Area Test) in order to be awarded a license. Most students plan on taking the APT early in their student teaching semester (if student teaching in the Fall you may wish to take it the summer before student teaching). In September 2014 the APT will become a single test for all license candidates.