Self-Help Phone Applications
Below you will find suggestions for a variety of apps geared toward self-growth, stress management, mood management, conquering addictions, etc. Some of these apps are free while others have an associated cost. To read more about, or download, the app of interest, search the app name:
- On the AppStore on your iPad or iPhone or use your associated computer's iTunes account.
- On Android Marketplace or Amazon's "Apps for Android" on your Android Tablet or Phone
Apps common to both iPad/iPhone and Android Devices
Magazine and Media Style (broad content):
- SkyGrid:Let's you create your own personalized "magazine" style content from various sources including magazines, newspapers, blogs, websites, news stations, etc. You can choose a lot of health related content, including fitness, nutrition, medical and mental health content.
- Stitcher Radio Podcast:Listen to more than 3500 of the best news, talk, sports, and entertainment podcasts, or tune into the live streams of your favorite local talk radio stations. Just pick a topic, start listening, and Stitcher will learn your interests, begin personalizing your stations, and help you discover new shows. Or, create a custom station featuring your favorite podcasts. Make sure to check out sources in "Science & Medicine" (such as "Psychology" and "Medicine" Stations) and "Lifestyles & Health" (such as "Self-Help & Advice", "Fitness & Nutrition," "Health & Wellness" Stations).
- TED Air:Video-recorded talks on all sorts of topics. Check out talks by Brene Brown, Bob Thurman, Martin Seligman...
- Zinio:a magazine app; includes some free magazines as well as magazines for purchase and then holds your content in a personalized library; magazines for purchase include: Out, The Advocate, Spirituality and Health, O Magazine, Vegetarian Times, Clean Eating, etc.
Meditation and Relaxation:
- Simply Being Guided Meditation:Provides voice-guided step by step meditation instructions; listen to the meditation with or without music and choose your own meditation length of 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes.
Medical (Physical Health):
- Medscape:large and comprehensive medical app geared toward health care professionals.
- SkyScape: used by healthcare professionals to access trusted medical resources. Provides drug information, medical calculators, and clinical information on over 850 topics.
- WebMD:access to signs, symptoms, and treatment of various medical ailments.
- PsychDrugs: provides information on various psychologically related medications, including indications and dosage.
- See specific apps below.
- Astrid: A task management app that allows you to make "to do" lists such as shopping lists; goal/task lists, etc. You can set alarms to remind you to get tasks done and can create separate lists for home, school, work... You can keep your lists private or share them with family or friends.
- PTSD Coach: designed for Veterans and military Service Members who have, or may have, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). This app provides users with education about PTSD, information about professional care, a self-assessment for PTSD, opportunities to find support, and tools that can help users manage the stresses of daily life with PTSD.
iPad/iPhone Specific Apps
- Fitness for iPad: detailed text, photo, video, and audio instructions for hundreds of exercises and 50 yoga poses.
Magazine and Book Style (broad content):
- Flipboard: similar to SkyGrid (described above), but content is delivered in a different format.
- Transform Your Life: A Year of Awareness Practice by Cheri Huber: provides 365 days of inspirational quotes, encouragement, and daily assignments supporting awareness practice.
- Zite: another personalized magazine app that lets you choose your content; content is beautifully presented and comes from a variety of sources including magazines, websites, blogs, newspapers, etc. Includes content choices on health, nutrition, mental health...
- See SkyGrid, Stitcher, TedAir, & Zinio above
Meditation and Relaxation:
- iZen Garden 2 Lite or Pro: Create your own Zen garden (with a rake, sand and rocks..)
- iZen Lite or Pro: Zen meditation, includes daily Zen quotes.
- Meditation for Inner Wisdom: guided meditation/self-hypnosis.
- Mindfulness Meditation: guided meditations ranging from 5 to 40 minutes; includes an audio guide to meditation.
- Relax and Sleep Well: guided relaxation/self-hypnosis.
- Sleep Pillow: A variety of different nature sounds (rain, ocean, whales, etc.) to help you relax and/or sleep.
- eCBT Calm: helps people who are feeling stressed and want to learn relaxation skills. It assesses your stress level, provides relaxation skills, and also includes links to online resources for stress and anxiety.
- Also see Simply Being app above.
Mood Management (e.g., Help for Anxiety and Depression):
- Gratitude & Happiness (Self-Help Journal, Todo, Thoughts and Mood Tracker): Free with no ads. Track basic happiness items and graph them.
- LearnPanicCBT for iPad: this is a self-treatment program for panic disorder that is based on Cognitive Behavior Therapy principles.
- Track and Share (Lite or Pro): Track your mood, improve your habits, get things done, manage your health, practice gratitude; very versatile and useful app.
- Habits Pro: Helps you set tasks and goals and track your related habits.
- eCBT Mood: helps people who are feeling down or depressed to feel better by using the scientific principles of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
- MoodKit by Thriveport: Improve your mood and become your own expert with the wisdom and guidance of MoodKit at your fingertips. This app has over 150 mood improvement activities, a thought checker, mood tracker, journal, iOS calendar integration, and more. It was featured in the LA Times, Harvard Business Review, CNET, and the App Store's "New and Noteworthy" and "What's Hot" in Health & Fitness.
- EBT: Emotional Brain Training Check in: For those who are using the EBT program for stress and mood management, this is a useful tool. The app is designed to help you identify your current level of stress, discover what part of your brain is now dominant and then use a brain based tool to reduce stress and feel better. To learn more about EBT, download the free course "Emotional Brain Training, An Introduction to EBT" from the iBook store. This app won't make much sense to you if you are not familiar with the EBT program.
Recovery from Addiction:
- iQuit: Helps you to quit smoking using the iQuit "scheduled reduction" method. Free.
- iQuit-Stop Smoking Counter: measures smoking cessation and the length of time you have stopped smoking, the money you have saved, and the extra life gained.
- iPromises Recovery Companion: Free AA and 12-step recovery application. You can create trigger alerts, share meetings and access shared meetings; geo-locate the meeting you are sitting in to add it to your meeting list; easily contact friends in recovery; keep a visual journal of your moods, challenges, and accomplishments; click an icon to call your sponsor; get a daily positive message; etc.
- OneRecovery OnTheGo: comprehensive and easy to use 12-step program meeting finder that also includes daily meditations. Includes AA, Al-Anon, CA, CMA, CODA, DA, EDA, GA, MA, NA, NicA, OA.
- Porn & Sexual Addiction Support: join almost 1 million people throughout the world who are using this app to fight their addiction with porn and/or sex addiction. Includes chat, news, videos, podcasts.
- Stop Drinking with Andrew Johnson: designed to help listeners relax and overcome the emotional and physical cravings of alcohol. The app is designed to help you break the negative habits that lead you to reaching for a drink and give you the positive resources to achieve your goals. Uses relaxation, hypnotherapy, positive suggestions and visualization.
- Quit Forever: program that was designed by smoking cessation experts from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center to help you quit smoking. Helps you develop a personalized plan to quit that includes preparing to quit, quitting, and dealing with relapse. Also helps you connect with others for support and lets you track how much money you can save by not smoking.
- eCBT Trauma: helps people who have experienced a traumatic event. It uses the scientific principles of CBT to help relieve the symptoms of PTSD.
- Also see PTSD Coach above.
Android Specific Apps
- Cardio Trainer and Cardio Trainer Pro: track and record your fitness activities; record your pace, calories, path taken, etc. Also allows for customization for running, cycling, hiking, and other fitness activities.
- VirtuaGym Fitness Home & Gym: offers full workout plans for home and gym use, 3D demonstrations of every exercise in its database, audio prompts, and more.
- YogaPedia: provides nearly 100 unique yoga positions, tips and information.
Magazine Style (broad content):
Feedly: Similar to Pulse below but with a more minimalist user interface.
- Pulse: A fun, organized and engaging way to read the news. Stories are presented in a mosaic layout. Tap on an article to read it. You can include social-networking websites such as Facebook in your article sources. Include up to 60 total news sources. Similar to Flipboard for iPad.
- See SkyGrid, Stitcher, TedAir, Zinio above.
Meditation and Relaxation:
- MindHealth: an app (based on Buddhist Psychology) to help you reduce stress, calm the mind, and "sow the seeds of happiness" through your meditation practice. Helps you learn acceptance, non-judgment, compassion, gratitude, loving kindness.
- Lightening Bug-Meditation Pack: includes 8 meditation scenes and 19 sounds. Gongs, bells, pads, sitar, breaks, aums, and chimes.
- Relax Completely: free hypnosis session for deep relaxation which has received rave reviews from around the world.
- Also see Simply Being app above.
Recovery from Addiction (& breaking bad habits):
- Quit Smoking: provides a customizable tracking widget for your Android phone's home screen, letting you keep up on progress and measure your success. This app is designed to gradually wean you from your dependency on cigarettes with a step-down program. It adjusts itself continuously to fit your personal smoking pattern based on the data you enter.
- Quit Drinking-Andrew Johnson: designed to help you relax and overcome the emotional and physical cravings for alcohol and to help you break those negative habits that lead to reaching for a drink.
- More Content to Come
Mood Management (e.g., Help for Anxiety and Depression)
- Cognitive Diary CBT Self-Help: Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a mental-health approach stipulating that irrational beliefs lead to many life problems including stress, anxiety, anger, depression, conflict in relationships, and more. This app provides a Cognitive Diary, which is a technique used in CBT to help challenge that irrational thinking.
- Irrational Thinking CBT Test: This app is based upon research in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and is sponsored by a clinical psychologist. It is meant for personal assessment to aid in self-help for personal improvement. By examining your thinking styles, you can learn to change them which can reduce anxiety, depression, and unreasonable anger. In addition, you can improve your self-esteem and your relationships.
- Stop Panic & Anxiety Self-Help: Use this app to get through a panic attack, and to learn to tolerate and control anxiety symptoms.
- Worry Box-Anxiety Self-Help: Does worry cause you anxiety and tension? Do you avoid things due to fear of the outcome? Does your worry cause conflict with others? Put Your Worries in the Worry Box - Use the worry cognitive diary to help you determine how to cope with the worry. If it's controllable, you can list the steps you can take to manage the worry. If it's not controllable, select from the list of coping statements to help you think about it differently.
- See PTSD Coach above.