Richard G. Jones, Jr., Ph.D.
Monday 10:00 - 12:00
Wednesday and Friday 10:00 - 11:00
And by appointment
BASIC COURSE WEBPAGE:
Click here to access information related to our CMN 1310/1390, Introduction to Speech Communication courses.
Rich is the 2012 winner of the "Jerry Mathis Outstanding Young Teacher Award." The award is presented annually by the Illinois Communication and Theatre Association to one communication educator in the state of Illinois. Rich will accept the award September 28 at the Hilton Lisle Hotel in Naperville IL.
Rich’s first book, Communication in the Real World will be published in January 2013 by Flat World Knowledge. Click here to see the full informational/press release.
Rich co-authored, with Bernadette Marie Calafell (University of Denver), an article titled “Contesting neoliberalism through critical pedagogy, intersectional reflexivity, and personal narrative: Queer tales of academia” for a special issue of the Journal of Homosexuality (volume 59, issue 7, published 8/27/12) on Sexualities and Genders in an Age of Neoliberalism. Click here to access the article.
Rich won an Achievement and Contribution Award in Fall 2011 from Eastern Illinois University to honor outstanding achievements and contributions in the areas of teaching, research, and service. Rich was awarded in the "balanced" category which considers teaching, research, and service as a whole.
EducationPh.D., Human Communication Studies, University of Denver, 2009
M.A., Speech Communication, University of North Carolina Greensboro, 2005
Post-baccalaureate Certificate, Women's and Gender Studies, University of North Carolina Greensboro, 2005
B.A., Communication Studies, University of North Carolina Greensboro, 2002
Professional OrganizationsNational Communication Association
Central States Communication Association
Illinois Communication and Theatre Association
For more information, please visit the Speakers Bureau Webpage.
Communication/Public Speaking: Potential Topics Include:
- How to manage public speaking anxiety
- Making your content relevant to your audience
- Tips for organizing and preparing presentations
- Tips for delivering presentations
- Tips for special occasions speaking (toasts, eulogies, tributes, awards ceremonies)
- Tips for speaking for political activism/political engagement
Diversity: Potential Topics Include:
- Difference Matters: Exploring Cultural Identity
- Issues related to intersections of identities (race, class, gender, ability, sexual orientation, age)
- The Disabilities Rights Movement
- The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Rights Movement
- Diversity in the Workplace
- Diversity in Higher Education
- Diversity in the Classroom
ResearchCulture and communication
Performance of identities (gender, race, sexuality, class, ability)