The Department of Communication Studies has limited funds available to help support students who show promise or demonstrate unique talents in selected fields. There are two types of these awards:
- Grant-in Aid (GIA): The department provides a number of grant-in-aid awards each semester to students who show promise or demonstrate a talent in a selected field. The Grant-in-Aid program is financed through a student fee and is awarded by a stipend paid through the Financial Aid office.
- Talented Student Awards (TSA): Talented student awards were created to encourage the development of unique student talents. The department provides awards up to the equivalent of 12 semester hours of tuition.
To be eligible for either award, a student must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have earned a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or major GPA of 3.00 or a 3.00 GPA in high school, be admitted to the major or minor, and demonstrate proficiency of some unique talent or skill that can benefit the department.
- Participate in a University or departmental priority activity (e.g. Study Abroad, integrative learning, student research), have earned a minimum GPA of 2.00, demonstrated financial need, and be a major or minor.
Students must also provide one of the following:
- Three letters of reference from individuals who can attest to a student's academic abilities
- One letter of recommendation authored by a departmental faculty member
- Signature of approval of a supervising faculty member
Students must also:
- Provide a resume with completed application
- Demonstrate significant leadership service, contributions and involvement within the Eastern Illinois University community, Charleston community, or respective organizations.
- Be in good standing with the Eastern Illinois University student conduct code.
The application deadline for Summer 2013 is May 30, 2013.