Commencement is one of the most exciting events of the year at Eastern Illinois University — and for the graduates and families involved, it's also one of the most memorable.
EIU hosts two annual commencements, at the end of the spring and fall semesters. Those graduating at the end of the summer semester are included in the fall ceremonies. If summer graduates wish to participate in the spring ceremonies, they should contact their college Dean’s office to request to participate by exceptionality.
Students: Visit the Before Commencement page for step-by-step instructions on what you must do to to prepare to participate in the upcoming ceremonies.
Apply for the 2017 Distinguished Senior Awards
Click here to learn about our 2017 Distinguished Senior Award opportunities.
When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, March 7
Where: University Ballroom, MLK Jr. Union
Register to win a free cap and gown, a diploma frame and more!
For students walking in the Spring 2017 ceremonies:
- Ask questions about the ceremony itself with an Alumni Services representative.
- Order cap and gown rental (through Herff Jones)
- Confirm your eligibility to graduate with a Registrar’s Office representative.
For all EIU students:
- Confirm your diploma name and mailing address.
- Order a class ring (through Herff Jones or Jostens).
- Have a professional photo taken in a cap and gown or for your LinkedIn profile (through Grad Images).
- Not sure what’s next? Visit with representatives from Career Services and The Graduate School.
- Get discount coupons for the EIU Union Bookstore.
- Check out some of the free stuff we’ll have available!
Also, be sure to purchase an Alumni Association Grad Pack to cement your legacy with EIU!
Spring 2017 Commencement: Saturday, May 6
Ticket AvailabilityCheck this website March 24 for ticket information.
This site provides the information most students and families need to complete their commencement planning. However, if you have a question that has not been answered here, please contact Alumni Services at 217-581-6616.