Open House/Visit Days for Prospective Undergraduate Students
- Departmental faculty and students participate in EIU's five open house programs each year.
- Click to see open house dates for this year.
- From 10:00-11:30 on Open House Days
- Discuss the undergraduate major in Communication Disorders and Science with a CDS faculty member at the EIU Informational Fair
- In the Grand and University Ballrooms, 2nd floor, Union
- From 1:00-2:00 on Open House Days
- Showcase in the Department of Communication Disorders and Science (2nd floor of the Human Services Building, on 7th Street)
- Faculty members give overview presentation about the department and major
- Current students and faculty members are available for questions
- Faculty lead tour of the department
Undergraduate Admission Criteria
For more information about the Undergraduate Program in Communication Disorders and Sciences, click here.
Probationary Admission to Communication Disorders & Sciences
Students entering EIU as freshmen or transfers seeking a CDS major will be classified as probational CDS majors. Probational majors may register for all lower division (2999 or lower) courses in the CDS major. The requirements for admission to the University satisfy the requirements for probationary admission to the Department of Communication Disorders. Undergraduate admission materials are available through the Office of Admissions and High School Relations (217) 581-2223.
Access to all upper division CDS courses (3000 or higher) requires admission to the CDS major. The Department Admissions Committee reviews the applications of all probational CDS majors seeking admission to the major.
Undergraduate Admission to Communication Disorders & Sciences
Criteria for Admission to CDS major includes:
- Classification as a probational CDS major
- Achievement of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (A=4.0) or higher for all EIU coursework
- For native EIU students, completion of at least 45 semester hours of coursework at EIU
- For transfer students, completion of at least 15 semester hours of coursework at EIU
- Completion of at least three of five lower division core CDS courses (1 of the 5 being CDS 2500 or 2800) and achievement of a minimum 2.75 grade point average for all lower division core CDS courses completed at the time of application
Only students admitted to the CDS major will be approved to register for upper division (3000 or higher) CDS courses. Applications are available in the department office, Room 2105, Human Services Building or click here to download a form.