Prior Learning Portfolio
Welcome to the Bachelor in General Studies Degree Program ! Our program is dedicated to helping you fulfill that dream of earning a college education!
As part of that dedication, our program offers a unique opportunity for earning college credit for knowledge learned outside of the traditional classroom setting. Let's be clear, though. Credit is granted for college level knowledge, knowledge that you've never been given credit for before.
So what is college level knowledge? How do you know that the knowledge you have would be considered college level? Well, the truth is you don't know for sure. Only the evaluators can truly access what you know, via the portfolio, and compare it to college coursework offered here at EIU. While some students find this to be a very time consuming process, many feel it is well worth the time and effort. This is sometimes a faster way to earn college credits that count towards your degree. Our office will help you facilitate the process of submitting a portfolio for evaluation.
There are several steps to the portfolio process. Here is a brief glimpse:
- Once admitted to the BGS Program, let your advisor know you're interested in the portfolio process. Your advisor will put you in touch with the BGS Portfolio Administrator, who will then start the process with you.
- Enroll in the portfolio class, BGS 3001.
- After completion of the class, and in consultation with the BGS Portfolio Administrator, you can submit your portfolio(s) for evaluation to the BGS Degree Program.
- The BGS Degree Program office will send your portfolio(s) out for evaluation.
All of the above steps will be outlined for you once you're admitted to the BGS Degree Program.
- Thinking About Writing a Portfolio
- Example EIU Catalog (undergraduate)
- Student Forms
- Evaluation Forms
Please continue learning about the portfolio process by choosing options from the site menu. If you have any questions, please contact Kim Redfern at email@example.com or 217-581-5618.