Why get involved?
Have you ever volunteered at a soup kitchen or for Habitat for Humanity? Have you ever wanted to do more to help others or make a difference in someone's life? If so, stop by the Student Community Service Office — located in the Office of Student Programs, Martin Luther King Jr. University Union (Third Floor, Room 3065) — to learn about the opportunities available to you.
About Student Community Service (SCS)
SCS is a great, fun option to help EIU students get real world experience while helping others. Our office aims to involve students with the community, helping them work together as a team and learn from one another.
Volunteering will bridge the knowledge you gain in the classroom and help apply it to a hands-on experience. Our office can help individual students, as well as classes and groups, locate service happening here on campus as well as in the community. The volunteer work can be related to a particular major or just simply an individual's personal interests! The goal is to have a meaningful and enjoyable experience.
"A person starts to live when he can live outside of himself."
The Value of Volunteering--TOP Reasons to Volunteer
There are as many reasons to serve as there are people who serve. Volunteering is not just an altruistic act. It's an opportunity to advance in all areas of your life. Here are a few positive aspects giving your time and yourself:
- You can gain a connection with your community.
- Contributing your time to charities, non-profit organizations, faith-based organizations and other groups helps them conserve funds and use them elsewhere.
- Volunteering provides an opportunity to share your skills and gain new ones.
- You'll have a chance to meet new people from all walks of life.
- You can enhance your resume and make important networking contacts.
- Volunteering promotes a worthwhile activity.
- You will feel needed and valued.
- You'll have the chance to experience something new.
- You'll be serving your country.