Panther Service Day
14th Annual Panther Service Day
April 23, 2016
Join us this year for a fantastic celebration of service and care for our great community! We will have a kick off ceremony starting at 11:30 a.m. featuring a youth dance presentation and a welcome from various leaders! We will recognize outstanding volunteers from throughout this semester!
Individual Volunteers for April 23: CLICK HERE to register for all events! Just look for the projects that say “Panther Service Day.” See descriptions of projects below. We can be the difference!
Group Volunteers (Teams of 6 volunteers or More): Please CLICK HERE to register your group today! See below for choices!
Celebrate and Serve With Us!
Legacy of Service
With over 10 different volunteer sites, all volunteers can find a fun, enjoyable way to give back! This year, a free light meal is provided for all volunteers by the EIU Alumni Services. The meal is a great way to meet other volunteers and celebrate service.
This FREE light meal is from 11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. outside of Blair Hall. All volunteers are encouraged to check-in between 11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and enjoy a free cookout. Departure for service projects will start at 11:45 a.m. and all projects will be complete at 3 p.m.
Join The Fun
Panther Service Day is happy to provide transportation to all service sites and a free T-shirt to the first 100 volunteers that check-in. Alumni, students and staff are all encouraged to participate in this exciting day! Over 500 volunteers are expected to attend! We are "Volunteers On the Prowl!"
Panther Service Day Volunteer Options
- First Fruits Homestead: This agency will give you an opportunity to work outdoors at a farm and garden. This unique site will give you a place to observe sustainable gardening and livestock techniques in action. Volunteers will help with general farm clean up, rebuild a cattle fence, transplant plants, plant seeds, and work on improving the aesthetic detail of the First Fruit Homestead site. Close-toed shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty are necessary.
- FULL: Community Aid - Ashmore: Volunteers will be assisting the community in a variety of ways from painting, cleaning, etc.
- Charleston Trash Bash: Students will help with an organized trash pick up around EIU. This is a fun way to get to see more of our community while helping out! Want to be outdoors? Come and help bash the trash from our city.
- Standing Stone and Carpenters Table: Volunteers are needed at to help sort donations, make soap, move boxes, and work on other projects. This is a local agency that provides food, clothing, and furniture to people in need. Please wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty and closed toed shoes. Come volunteer and support this important grassroots agency!
- FULL: Mark Twain Elementary: Volunteers are needed to assist with projects at Mark Twain, the local elementary school. While the Mark Twain students are away EIU volunteers will help to clean around the school, rake mulch, pick up trash, etc. This is a fun way to give back to our local community and to our local students!
- Fit-2-Serve Community Garden: Volunteers will be working with this new agency on getting two of their community gardens ready to plant.
- Douglas Hart Nature Center: Plant a tree in honor of Earth Day! Volunteers are invited to join Douglas Hart in helping the Earth. Leaders will help you plant trees, remove invasive plants like honey suckle bushes, and improve the forest at the Douglas Hart Nature Center. We recommend wearing long pants and closed-toed shoes as pending good weather, you will be working outdoors. If the weather is cold or rainy, they will have inside work.
- LifeSpan Center Cleaning: Volunteers are needed at the LifeSpan Center which provides a variety of service to senior citizens in our local community. Come help with cleaning, painting, and other projects to help spruce up and prepare the LifeSpan Center for the spring. Please wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty and closed toed shoes.
- 5 Mile House: Volunteers will be helping with grounds maintenance, general house cleaning, light garden work, and measuring ingredients for cooking. This is a neat opportunity to see one of our local historical sites.
- Lake Charleston: Volunteers will be helping with two projects. First we will be continuing the great work started last year and building new trails. The second project will be helping to care for the existing trails by pulling out invasive species of plants and collecting trash.
- Habitat Restore: Volunteers will be cleaning items to be put out on the sales floor, stocking the sales floor, and general cleaning.
- FULL: HOPE: Volunteers will be either helping with the annual spring clean out of the storage units or working at the children's center doing various projects such as staining the fence, putting together the picnic table, moving the basketball hoop, general cleanup, and possibly tearing down old playground.
CLICK HERE to register for any of the above events!
Who We Are
Eastern Illinois University is proud to host the 14th Annual Panther Service Day on Saturday, April 23, 2016. This annual day of volunteering and service began in 2003, when EIU Student Government initiated an effort to improve the relationship between EIU students and the citizens of Charleston through encouragement of acts of volunteerism and service in the community.
Since then, Panther Service Day has evolved into a large-scale event allowing EIU students, staff, alumni and community members to work side-by-side through volunteerism and service in Charleston and the surrounding area. Panther Service Day was awarded the prestigious Governor's Hometown Award in 2004 for its contributions to our community.