Military Student Assistance Center Coordinator Search
Are you well versed in Military Personnel and Veteran Services? Do you have a passion for engaging others? EIU needs you. Eastern Illinois University has a long standing tradition of caring for our whole student and in this we are seeking a dynamic leader who can shape the future of our Military Student Assistance Center. The Military Student Assistance Center Coordinator joins a fast paced office environment as the coordinator works to engage fully our EIU veterans, military personnel, and their families. Want to give back to those who have given so much to our country? Are you a well versed professional with higher education experience? Come and engage our academically successful students through outreach. For a full position description and list of responsibilities visit apply.interfolio.com/24009 .
The Military Student Assistance Center Coordinator will advocate for, provide, and coordinate the necessary support services for the successful operation of the Military Student Assistance Center. The incumbent will perform a variety of administrative functions and will work collaboratively with administrators, faculty, and students in promoting the student academic and personal achievement within a student-centered environment. Additionally, this individual must coordinate a comprehensive and collaborative campus-wide effort to maximize the recruitment, retention and graduation of veterans, military personnel and their families.
Eastern Illinois University is a public comprehensive university that offers superior, accessible undergraduate and graduate education. EIU enrolls approximately 11,000 students and ranks among U.S. News and World Report’s top public comprehensive universities in the Midwest. The University is located in east central Illinois and combines the benefits of a community of 20,000 with access to several large cities including Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis.
- Serve as an ombudsperson for student veterans, military personnel, and their families.
- Serve as an advocate for student veterans, military personnel, and their families.
- Advise and assist students on how to complete necessary paperwork to activate veteran benefits and scholarships, primarily as a referral agent for the Veterans Benefits/Financial Aid office. Be knowledgeable of all Federal and State veteran benefits and scholarships to veterans and active duty military personnel and their families.
- Serve as a liaison with other offices on campus in regards to services available to veterans and their families including, but not limited to, Academic Advising, Student Accounts, Counseling Center, Disability Services, Housing, Financial Aid, and Health Services.
- Develop programming and services that will aid in the retention, graduation and career placement of students.
- Assist in the recruitment and enrollment of veterans, military personnel, and their families.
- Maintain a campus web site for veterans.Stay current on veterans’ issues and inform the population of current events; for example, Student Veterans of America and Veterans Day activities.
- Prepare and submit reports, proposals, and policies related to veteran students, including the annual report to the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
- Research and develop funding sources to enhance services to the veteran population.
- Counsel students on correspondence received from the Federal VA. Provide interpretation/clarification when needed.
- Provide general information regarding campus programs and services.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including weekends and evenings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Highly Competitive Candidates will possess:
- Ability to effectively balance multiple priorities, meet changing demands, and shift focus and resources quickly and effectively in a fast-paced organization.
- Skills and diplomacy necessary to interact with various departments across campus.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Good listener, assessable to staff, sets reasonable expectations, is supportive and has a cooperative spirit.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
Required Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree; some relevant higher education experience; Demonstrated knowledge of veteran affairs/services; Experience giving formal presentations or facilitating workshops; Demonstrated project management experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree in Higher Education, College Student Affairs, Counseling, or other related area; Significant relevant higher education experience, Previous military service or experience; Experience working with diverse compositions of student populations; Experience working with college students in the areas of mentoring, advising, and counseling; The ability and experience to handle complex and sensitive issues; Proven ability to perform multi-tasks, meet deadlines, and establish/maintain effective working relationships; Advance computer skills including website development. Experience developing publications and marketing materials. Experience with report writing and data analysis. Supervisory experience.
Appointment Term and Application Process
This twelve-month position is available approximately March 1, 2014 and must be on staff no later than May 15, 2014. Salary $37,000 to $41,000 and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Application review begins January 3, 2014 and will continue until campus interviews are scheduled.
Application materials must be submitted to apply.interfolio.com/24009
A complete application file consists of:
- a cover letter that addresses how the candidate meets the qualifications and experience requirements,
- names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) professional references
College transcripts will be required of individuals invited for on-campus interviews. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
Eastern Illinois University is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding staff, faculty and students. All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.
For questions about the position or the search please contact Randall Bogard at 217-581-7701 or email@example.com.