The thesis option for the Master of Science in Technology degree requires 30 semester hours of credit, including the four core classes mentioned previously, 12 hours of coursework, and six hours of thesis work. The 12 hours of coursework may be elected from the following areas of study: Technology Management, Training and Development, Career and Technical Education, or Computer Technology.
Thesis option candidates will receive the certification after they successfully complete and defend their thesis. Students selecting the the thesis option must submit a Thesis Application to obtain credit. Click here for the Thesis Application.
Graduate Thesis Guidelines
- Obtain a thesis manual from graduate school as soon as possible. The thesis manual is also available at the web site for the Graduate School at http://www.eiu.edu/~graduate/research.html.
- Understand the sequence and requirements on the thesis manual.
- Set up a thesis committee as soon as possible. Selection of the thesis committee will include the thesis director and two graduate faculty members from the School of Technology or another department.
- Write a thesis research proposal.
- The thesis proposal will be written in the same format as you did in the course work of Research in Technology. Follow APA style.
- Besides the technical content, the proposal should include:
- What will be accomplished in your research.
- A time table for the thesis completion. It is recommended that you do it backward, i.e., set up the thesis defense date and then work toward your current time.
- A thesis proposal will normally require three to four revisions between you and thesis director before being given to other members of the thesis committee, depending on the level of writing skills. Reserve approximately one week for each revision, therefore a total of four (4) weeks minimum for the complete revision process.
- The proposal revision should be completed and a copy should be given to other members of the thesis committee at least one week before the proposal presentation.
- Set up a date for thesis proposal presentation with the committee members. A formal presentation and approval of the thesis proposal is required. Click here for the Thesis Approval Form to be signed by the Thesis Committee. Complete the proposal presentation as soon as possible.
- Thesis writing: The thesis will be written according to APA style. A thesis will need at least three to four revisions between you and thesis director before being given to other members of the thesis committee, depending on the level of writing skills. Reserve approximately one week for each revision, therefore four (4) weeks minimum for the complete revision process.
- The thesis revision should be completed and a copy should be given to other members of the thesis committee at least one week before the thesis defense.
- Thesis defense will have the following activities:
- Presentation of your thesis (20-25 minutes)
- Answer questions
- Thesis approval
- Revisions of the thesis according to committee members' suggestions.
- After thesis revision, you need final signatures from all the committee members and the Chair of School of Technology on your thesis before depositing them in Booth Library.
- Number of thesis copies needed:
- Two (2) copies to Booth Library as required by the university.
- One (1) complete copy including text and figures for the graduate coordinator.
- The following applies to students working at externally funded project during thesis research:
- Two (2) loose copies for the funding agency. (Dr. Liu will have the above three copies bound later.)
- One extra set of figures will be needed by Dr. Liu as a research document in the group. Each figure will be attached by the corresponding data table.
- If you have any questions, talk to the thesis director and/or graduate coordinator as soon as possible.