EIU Summer Institute for Higher Learning
The Eastern Illinois University Summer Institute for Higher Learning is a bridge program EIU offers to select freshman students each year by invitation only through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (1-877-581-2348). This five-week program is designed to help students make a successful transition from the high school environment to the EIU college environment.
2013 Program Dates
Sunday, June 16 - Saturday, July 20, 2013
*Chicago Public Schools students who graduate later than June 16, 2013 please call 217-581-6696 for information regarding late high school graduation dates.
- University-Level Classes (Earn up to six credit hours toward graduation)
- Study Groups
- Living Learning Community (On-campus housing)
- One-on-One Academic Coaching and Library Research Assistance
- Students get to start college early.
- Students learn about campus resources and become familiar with campus prior to starting in the fall.
- Student connect with other students and build relationships with professors and advisors ahead of time.
- Classes students take during the program will count toward their degree, even if they are undecided.
- Students receive individual academic support and advising throughout the year.
- Students will lock in reduced four-year tuition rate for previous academic year.
Students are offered a place in the Summer Institute as part of their conditional acceptance offer from EIU for the following fall semester. This means participants must successfully complete the summer program requirements in order to continue at EIU in the fall.
- Students must earn 2.5 or better GPA (based on a 4 point scale).
- Students must attend all mandatory classes, workshops and other activities.
- Students must pay tuition fees and room and board fees for summer program. Financial aid may be available.
The Summer Institute is designed to challenge students and requires dedication, perseverance and a significant amount of time, but it will be worth the effort!
SIHL Registration Form
If you have received an invitation from the EIU Office of Admissions regarding this program and are interested in participating, please complete this form.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to questions that are commonly asked.