Eastern Illinois University Logo
SOS Teaching |

Step-by-Step Guide


About the Program

Major Requirements

Current Student Resources


Annual Conference

Why Choose EIU

Apply Now



SOS 3400

Contact Us

Step-By-Step Guide for Social Science Teaching Majors

History with Teacher Licensure and Social Science Studies Majors


Prior to your enrollment at Eastern Illinois University, there are a few things that you can take care of.

  • Work on study skills and habits of mind that will enable you to succeed in college and to juggle the demands of being a social science teaching major. Whether you major in History with Teacher Licensure or one of the Social Science Studies concentrations, you will have a lot on your plate during your time at EIU: coursework, studying for the content test, doing clinical experience, as well as whatever work and extracurricular involvement you choose. Organization and good study habits go a long way to helping you succeed.

  • Take—and pass!!—the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP). The TAP covers reading, language arts, writing, and math. Prep resources are available at http://eiu.edu/ceps/teached/Basic_Skills_Test-Preparing-Revised_7-5-2012.pdf and through the Center for Teacher Education Assessment and Certification Testing Support (see http://eiu.edu/basicskillstest/center_index.php). You may attempt the test up to five times, and the test is offered year round, Monday-Saturday by appointment at a Pearson Professional Center in Chicago, Marion, Peoria, Schaumburg, Springfield, St. Louis, or Terre Haute. Other locations can be found at www.pearsonvue.com/icts. Scores are reported within four weeks, and you must provide an official score report to EIU.

  • Or … consider taking (or re-taking) the ACT with Writing. (Note: It has to be the ACT with Writing). If you score a 22 or higher, you will be exempt from taking the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) that is required for admission to teacher education. Scores from the last ten years can be used to meet this requirement. To make a substitution from an SAT you must have a combined score of 1030. For more information see http://eiu.edu/ceps/teached/ACT_TAP_Process_Info-revised_January_2013.pdf.

  • Attend an Admission to Teacher Education meeting. You must attend this meeting as part of your formal admission application for teacher education. Admission meetings are held each semester, and you are welcome to attend prior to your enrollment at EIU or within the first thirty days of enrollment. Meetings are held in 1501 Buzzard Hall. For a list of fall meetings, see www.eiu.edu/ceps/teached.

After you have been admitted to EIU, here are the steps you should follow.

  • Attend an Admission to Teacher Education meeting. If you have not attended a meeting prior to your enrollment, you must attend this meeting as a first step towards your formal admission application for teacher education. Admission meetings are held each semester, and you are welcome to attend prior to your enrollment at EIU or within the first thirty days of enrollment. Meetings are held in 1501 Buzzard Hall. For a list of fall meetings, see www.eiu.edu/ceps/teached.

  • Complete at least 29 semester hours, and maintain a minimum EIU GPA of 2.65. (These can be transfer hours.) One of these early courses should be SED 2000: Inquiry into Teaching. This class introduces you to the field of secondary education and offers you a chance to test out the degree. You must earn a grade of C or higher in SED 2000 for admission to teacher education. You are also required to have a C or better in ENG 1001G, 1002G, and CMN 1310G (transfer substitutions can be used), and a C or better in college-level math. IAI General Education Mathematics meets this requirement.

  • Purchase LiveText through the University Union Bookstore. This is required for all of your education courses, as well as SOS 3400.

  • Make sure that you have taken and passed the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or that you have substituted your score of 22 or higher on the ACT with Writing. If you have already scored a 22 or above on the ACT with Writing, complete an EIU Request to Use ACT/SAT Scores and an ISBE form 73. The ISBE Code for ACT is 3001, and your score must be sent directly there. (Forms are available in the Dean’s Office, College of Education & Professional Studies, 1420 Buzzard Hall, or at http://www.eiu.edu/ceps/teached.php.)If you have not taken the ACT with Writing, take the ACT or TAP options and have your score sent to EIU. For more information, see http://eiu.edu/ceps/teached/ACT_TAP_Process_Info-revised_January_2013.pdf.

  • Take your Speech & Hearing test at the EIU clinic. Call 217-581-2712 for an appointment. There is a $5 fee for this test.

  • Declare a major: History with Teacher Licensure, Social Science Studies—Geography, Social Science Studies—Political Science, Social Science Studies—Psychology, or Social Science Studies—Sociology-Anthropology. Don’t know which one to choose? Investigate the programs at http://www.eiu.edu/history/requirements.php and INSERT NEW SOS URL. If you are being advised at the Undergraduate Advising Center at 9th Street Hall, speak with your advisor about declaring a major. If you are a transfer student and have declared your major you will be advised in the department. If you wish to change your major, go to the Registrar’s Office.

  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.65 and a major GPA (that is, GPA in all social science courses) of 3.0. In order to enroll in SOS 3400 the semester prior to student teaching, you must have a minimum major GPA of 3.0 and a cumulative GPA of 2.75.

  • Apply for student teaching the fall PRIOR to the year in which you plan to student teach. You must apply the Fall semester the academic year prior to the year you plan to student teach. For example, if you plan to student teach Fall 2014 or Spring 2015, you must attend a meeting, apply, and turn in all required paperwork during the Fall 2013 semester. For more information about the student teaching experience, see http://eiu.edu/~clinical/forms/STGHandbook078x11.pdf.

  • Join a professional organization (or two!), attend conferences such as the History and Social Science Teachers’ conference held every October at EIU, and consider doing some kind of work (volunteer or paid) with kids and/or schools.

  • Work on your resume. Meet with Career Services.

  • Enroll in SOS 3400 the semester before student teaching.

  • Take—and pass!!—the Content Area Test prior to SOS 3400. You must have a passing score report in order to be approved to student teach, so it is important to take the test in time to have the report sent (and to have time to re-take if necessary). You are required to take and pass the Content Test in your area of concentration prior to student teaching. For information about registration and the testing process, see the Illinois Licensure Testing System website at http://www.il.nesinc.com/. For upcoming test dates, see http://www.il.nesinc.com/IL_ann20132014testdates.asp?pagetype=PBT. For more information and links related to your particular Content Area Test, see http://www.eiu.edu/newsite/socsci/testing.php. [chg URL once live—this will be the information sent to you as Content Test Web Information]

  • Apply for graduation after you have completed 60 hours and at least one semester before SOS 3400. You apply for graduation through PAWS, and there is a one-time fee of $25

  • Apply for Department Approval for Student Teaching the semester prior to student teaching.

  • Complete your student teaching, and (beginning in 2015) take—and pass!!—the Teacher Performance Assessment (TPA) during student teaching

  • Get your teaching license. You will be licensed to teach all regular social science courses and AP and honors courses in your specialization (whether it is history, political science, geography, etc.), grades 9-12. It is very important that you follow the instructions that you receive from your Student Teaching Coordinator very carefully and send all of your completed materials to Teacher Licensure Officer, Eastern Illinois University, 600 Lincoln Avenue, Charleston, IL 61920. At the end of the semester, after grades are posted, your completed licensure paperwork will be returned to you after your grades, graduation, and other requirements have been verified. Please contact Ms. Jan Hickox at 217-581-2200 if you have not received your completed paperwork within 4-6 weeks after grades are posted. “Holds” on your record as well as name and address problems can cause delays, so it is important to contact Ms. Hickox if you have a name or address change that is different than the one initially submitted.