The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
In applying to the Specialist in School Psychology, application materials must be submitted to the Psychology Department as well as to the Office of the Graduate School. An application packet is available from the Psychology Department or you can print the forms you need from this site.
Admission to the program cannot be final until you have submitted your applications (both graduate school and psychology), transcript(s), 3 letters of recommendation, Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test scores, and a personal statement. Applications must be received by January 15 to be considered for admission and assistantship. Although we will continue to accept applications until the cohort is filled, assistantship may not be available.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
- Psychology Graduate Application (pdf)
- Statement of Personal Goals and research interests
- Three Letters of Recommendation (pdf), solicited from individuals qualified to judge and attest to your academic merit and potential.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Official transcripts from all school attended
- A resume outlining relevant work or academic experience
- Graduate Assistantship Application (optional)
Please mail all materials for the departmental application to:
Dr. Assegedetch HaileMariam
Department of Psychology
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!
Program Admission Requirements
Apply for an Assistantship
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship (GA), you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application. Graduate assistantships are typically awarded during admission, and GA application must be submitted with the admission application.
- A 3.0 grade point average (on 4.0 point scale) in all undergraduate courses and a 3.25 in undergraduate psychology courses.
- Or a composite (verbal, quantitative, analytical writing) score at 50th percentile or higher on the Graduate Record Exam: General Aptitude Test.
- Or a score at the 50th percentile or higher on the psychology portion of the Graduate Record Exam
- Undergraduate Prerequisites: General Psychology, Research Methods, Statistical Methods, Child Psychology/Human Development, Abnormal Psychology, Behavior Management/Modification or Learning (highly recommended courses: Adolescent Psychology, Physiological Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Psychology of Exceptional Children, and Psychological Measurement).
- On campus interview
To receive full consideration, all application materials should be received by the department no later than January 15.
The psychology department awards a number of graduate assistantships. Graduate assistantships include tuition waivers and a stipend of about $850 per month. Summer tuition waivers are also available. Separate applications for assistantships should be received in the Psychology Department by January 15. Assistantships in applied settings are available both within and outside the University. Information about other sources of financial assistance may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, Eastern Illinois University.