The Scholarship Interview
Get ready for the interview.
Prepare yourself and make sure you know the interview time, location, and how to get there. If possible, ask who might be interviewing. Act out your upcoming interview. Ask a teacher, counselor or friend to read through a list of potential questions with you and practice stating your answers. Lastly, pick out a nice outfit to wear the day of the interview. Wearing jeans and a t-shirt to the interview may not be a good idea. Instead, wear something you might wear to a job interview.
Learn about the scholarship.
Research the scholarship online to see what you can find out ahead of time. Having knowledge about the scholarship and sharing what you know during the interview could be positive with the selection committee.
A list of sample questions that might be asked during the interview.
- Why did you apply for this scholarship?
- What makes you stand out from other candidates?
- How will you contribute to your community?
- Tell us about one event or person in your life that shaped you?
- Talk about your academic achievements/aspirations?
- Talk about your community involvement?
- Tell us about yourself.
- Tell us about your current educational and career goals?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- How do you spend your free time outside of class?
- What is a skill or experience you don't possess now but hope to leave college with?
- Tell me about a personal achievement that makes you proud?
- Tell me about a mistake you made and what you learned from it?
- Who has influenced your life and why?
- Why do you think you're an excellent candidate for this scholarship?
Prepare your list of questions.
Have questions ready to ask interviewers and take the list with you to the interview. In addition, think of three things you want to tell your interviewers about you. Prepare your resume and bring it with you to the interview also. Be sure to read it thoroughly to remember what your experiences and past responsibilities have been and share it with the interviewers.