Why Choose EIU?
Research Mentoring, Student Publishing and Travel Opportunities
Michael Neureiter - Comparing Media Coverage in World Markets
Throught the Department's rich mentoring opportunities, Neureiter has been able to present his research and thesis at a conference.
Our program provides you many opportunities to develop and enhance your research interests. Since 2002, our students have published 60 articles, book reviews, book chapters, and other analyses, which is especially unique for students in Master’s programs in Political Science. You will have the opportunity to work with faculty committed to seeing you excel in your research. You will also have the opportunity to present your research papers at academic conferences, which in many cases, also entailed full funding for the travel. Our students have presented their research at the International Studies Association-Midwest in St. Louis, the Midwest Political Science Association in Chicago, the Illinois Political Science Association in Chicago, among other places, including conferences in Montreal Quebec and Lusaka Tanzania, which demonstrates our commitment to mentorship and your professional development. See a summary of recent conference travel here (pdf).
Aaron Hacker researches changes in Congress.
Graduate Student Aaron Hacker and Professor Melinda Mueller give insight into Aaron's graduate research.
Flexible Study Options
You have a variety of curriculum options, including two tracks, one focusing on Political Science (including American Government, Comparative Politics, International Relations, Public Law and Political Theory), and second track focusing on Public Administration and Public Policy. We also have a Public Planning Certificate option that combines Political Science training with courses in Public Administration and Public Policy, and Geographical Information Systems. These technical skills are helpful in the competitive job market, particularly for students interested in city and urban planning and political campaigns.
The department is committed to offering working professionals an affordable, flexible method to earn an M.A. in Political Science. Beginning Fall 2016, students selecting the Public Administration/Public Policy track can choose to complete their degree all on-line. Students in the Political Science track can take mostly face-to-face classes, with some on-line requirements. In both tracks, students who live near campus can create hybrid study plans, taking a mix of face-to-face and on-line classes.
Track Record of Student Success
Our students regularly win major thesis awards for their research. Upon graduation, our students have had been successful in finding excellent employment options, and have been admitted to Ph.D. programs and law schools of their choice.
Ricel Valdes Caldwell's Work with USAID Makes Global Impact. Read more...
By earning a Master's Degree in political science, you will improve your job prospects in the public and private work place. You will gain research, writing and analytical skills that come with advanced graduate study which will make you more competitive when applying for advanced graduate study or for jobs upon your graduation.Our students find great success on the job market. Here are some examples of recent placements:
- Government Relations/Public Relations Director, Illinois Political Science Association
- Policy Analyst, Illinois Department of Transportation
- Executive Director, Will County Governmental League
- Manager, East Africa, Chemonics
- Associate Counsel, Senator Grassley, U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee
- Global Mobility Specialist, Amazon.com
- Coordinator of Community-Based Learning and Civic Education, DePauw University
- Director of Workforce Innovation, Greater Memphis Alliance for a Competitive Workforce
- Educator, Illinois Department of Human Services
- Human Resources Assistant, Prairie Farms Ice Cream
- Economic Development Research Manager, Nebraska Department of Economic Development
- Area Technician, USDA Rural Development
- City Administrator, Effingham, IL
- City Administrator, Arcola, IL
- City Clerk/Director of Elections, Pontiac, MI
- Economic Development Planner, South Central Illinois Regional Planning & Development Commission
For students who wish to continue on in graduate studies in either law school or Ph.D. programs, we have an excellent placement record. Our students have been accepted into institutions including:
- University of Illinois-Chicago
- Claremont Graduate University
- Cornell University
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Pittsburgh
- The Ohio State University
- University of Missouri
- University of Nebraska
- Purdue University
- Texas Tech University
- Southern Illinois University
- Stony Brook University
A number of our recent students helped their job opportunities and additional academic prospects through their participation in conferences or by publishing their own research (PDF). In our program, our faculty will assist you in enhancing your academic record as is demonstrated by our recent graduates' achievements.