What is Philosophy?
Philosophy is the oldest academic discipline and is devoted to answering the biggest questions of life. Here are just a few of the questions that philosophers at EIU are currently debating and studying:
- What does a truly happy life look like?
- What is the difference between a morally right and a morally wrong act?
- Is there life after death?
- Is there anything I can know with certainty?
- How does the mind relate to the brain?
- What kind of person do I want to be?
- What is the relation between morality and law?
- Why be moral?
- Can I prove that I am not in the Matrix?
- Does time really “flow” or “move”?
- What is a just society?
- Does God exist?
Philosophy as a discipline has always been devoted to debate and conversation. Plato’s most important philosophical works are dialogues between Socrates and many of the great (and not-so great) men of his day. Philosophy is a big 2,500 year long conversation. If you enjoy respectful and rigorous argument about important questions, then philosophy might just be for you.