Citation Guidelines and Links
- The Chicago Manual of Style is typically used in humanities departments such as history, the arts, and literature. The manual is currently in it's 16th edition, and it is important to check both online sources and the printed manual to ensure correct citation.
- The American Psychological Association style guide is used most often by psychologists, anthropologists and business associations. The style guide is currently in its 6th edition, but check for updates often.
- The Modern Language Association style guide is used by many in the humanities and most especially in English departments. The handbook for writers is in its 6th edition.
Citing Primary Documents
- The Library of Congress has a variety of resources for teachers including this guide to citing primary sources in either MLA or Chicago style
- A division of the ALA, the Reference and User Services Association, had compiled a nice site about what primary sources are and how they can be used in classrooms and cited properly.