Music Department Honors Program
Departmental Honors Application Form
The Music Departmental Honors Program provides the opportunity for students to delve more deeply and independently into their studies. Students creatively research, explore, investigate, and analyze various aspects of music at an advanced level while completing their core curriculum requirements in Music. Honors faculty members work with students individually and in small groups. Coursework advances progressively and culminates in a senior thesis written under the supervision of Honors faculty.
Requirements for Departmental Honors in Music
- At least a 3.5 GPA
- Permission of the Music Honors Coordinator
- Permission of the Dean of the Honors College
- A completed Departmental Honors Program Application
- 12 Semester Hours from:
- MUS 3594 History and Literature of Music I, Honors 3 credits
- MUS 3595 History and Literature of Music II, Honors 3 credits
- MUS 3596 History and Literature of Music III, Honors 3 credits
- MUS 3591 Music Analysis, Honors 3 credits
- MUS 3592G Non-Western Music, Honors 3 credits
- MUS 4444 Honors Independent Study 1–3 credits*
- MUS 4555 Honors Research 1–3 credits*
- MUS 4666 Honors Seminar 1–3 credits*
- MUS 4644 Honors Thesis 1–3 credits
- An approved Graduate level course 3 credits**
For further information about the Departmental Honors Program in Music, please contact Dr. Luminita Florea at (217) 581-7042 or email@example.com.
*MUS 4444, MUS 4555, or MUS 4666 may be substituted for MUS 3592G only.
**A graduate course in music (3 credits) selected with the permission of the Music Honors Coordinator is required. Honors Independent Study, Honors Research, or Honors Seminar may be repeated as a substitute for this requirement with the permission of the Music Honors Coordinator.