G.I.V.E. - Gerontology students Involved in Volunteer Efforts
The Organization is made up of students from different departments with a passion for volunteering, although the majority are in the FCS Gerontology Graduate Program.
G.I.V.E. was conceptualized to integrate the campus with the community, particularly the older adult population, with the students.
The organization is aimed at giving back to the older members of the community that helped to build what and who we are today. Additionally, G.I.V.E. wants to alleviate ageism and promote positive intergenerational interaction.
It is our job to make an impact and change the way the elderly and aging are viewed. The current pre-conceived notions can be changed through intergenerational interaction.
Gerontology students Involved in Volunteer Efforts (G.I.V.E.) is the recognized student organization for the Master of Arts in gerontology program. Eastern Illinois University students formed the group to serve the older adult community in central Illinois.
G.I.V.E. is an open organization accepting any student, undergraduate or graduate, interested in serving the older adult community. Acceptance requires a minimum 2.0 grade point average.
- Assisting Charleston Rehab with Senior Prom
- Paint-a-House: Weekend fun of painting an older couples home for them.
- Home Delivery Library Program
- Assisting Gowin Parc and the Academy of Lifetime Learning with an Alzheimer's Benefit Dance.
- Assisted with the Alzheimer's Benefit Dance - "Save the Last Dance"
- Volunteered at Charleston Rehab for Easter Egg Hunt
- Paint-a-House: Weekend fun of painting an older couple's home for them.
- Volunteers at "Aging with Grace" conference
- Volunteers and presenters at the "Illinois Governor's Conference on Aging"
- Senir Prom at Charleston Rehab
- World Alzheimer's Day activities
- Appreciation gifts to staff at Gowin Parc
- Volunteers at the Gowin Parc Family Carnival
For more information feel free to contact:
Anthony Smith - President
Meredith Biehl- Vice President
Dr. Jackie Frank - Advisor
Lori Smith - Advisor