The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
To be eligible for degree candidacy, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. Please note: Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not ensure admission into the Aging Studies MA program. Applications are accepted any time. However, applicants for graduate assistantships must complete their file by February 1st to ensure full consideration.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
- A minimum of 2.75 grade point average.
Please note: A cumulative GPA of 2.75 does not automatically guarantee acceptance into the Aging Studies master’s degree program.
- Two references. At least one reference must address your academic performance.
- 1-2 page essay:
- Describe why you want to study aging studies and why EIU would be a good fit for your interests and professional career goals.
- Describe what you perceive to be your academic strengths and weaknesses and how you address your weaknesses.
- Your official transcript.
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
Graduate Assistantship Requirements - If you are applying to the program and applying for a Graduate Assistantship, all forms turned in will be used for both but MUST be in by the Graduate Assistantship deadlines. You must also submit an online application on the Graduate School webpage for an Assistantship. If you are a current graduate student in the Aging Studies program, you must submit the following materials:
- Submit an online application on the Graduate School Webpage for an Assistantship
- One letter of support from a professor at Eastern who can attest to your academic performance and abilities.
- Resume or Vita
*Remember your letter of support must be mailed directly to Dr. Jacquelyn Frank.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!