Cisco AnyConnect SSL VPN Client Install
AnyConnect Install and Configuration
VPN allows employees to connect to network shares and internal resources while on WiFi or off-campus. The best way to install VPN on your computer is to follow the instructions from the ITS Help Desk Software Downloads page:
The following information is retained for archive purposes or those individuals that do not have access to ITS Software Downloads.
The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client can be installed on Windows (32bit or 64bit), Mac, or Linux. Before installing the AnyConnect VPN Client please update your operating system and antivirus software. You MUST be logged into your computer as an Administrator to install the AnyConnect VPN Client.
Alternative Install Procedure
(This is done only once to get AnyConnect installed.)
- Close all open programs/applications and browsers.
- Open an internet browser window.
- If installing from off campus add perimeter.eiu.edu to your list of trusted sites. If installing from on campus add oncampus.eiu.edu to your list of trusted sites. Here's how:
- Click Tools in the top menu bar of your IE browser window.
- Select Internet Options from the drop-down menu
- Click the Security tab
- Click the Trusted Sites icon
- Click the Sites button
- Type https://perimeter.eiu.edu (if off campus) or type https://oncampus.eiu.edu (if installing on campus)
- Click Add
- Click Close
- Click OK
- Browse to https://perimeter.eiu.edu (if off campus) or https://oncampus.eiu.edu (if installing from on campus)
- Select the Group that you were given from Network Services
- Login using your EIU username (email ID) and password.
- On the Welcome dialog, click Continue
- AnyConnect installation will begin
- You may receive one or more pop-up notifications to verify that you want to install AnyConnect on your machine depending on your machine's security settings. Click "Yes" or "Run" to continue the automatic installation
- An ActiveX notification bar may appear at the top of your browser window. This is normal and you will need to click this bar and allow the ActiveX install.
- You may recieve one or more pop-up notifications to verify that it is OK to run ActiveX on your machine. ActiveX is used during the Anyconnect installation process. Click "OK" or "Yes" to continue with the automatic installation
- The AnyConnect client will install and will automatically connect to EIU.
- When the installation is complete and you are connected to the VPN, the yellow lock VPN icon will appear in your desktop tooltray. Contrats! Cisco AnyConnect VPN client is now installed and connected.
- To disconnect or quit your VPN session, right click on the tooltray icon and select Quit.
Now that I have Cisco AnyConnect installed how do I connect next time? (windows example)
- Click Start
- Select All Programs
- Select Cisco
- Select Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- From Off Campus select EIU from off campus in the connect to:
- From On Campus select EIU on campus in the connect to:
- Select the Group name you were provided from Network Services
- Fill in the Username: and Password fields with your EIU username (email ID) and password
- Click Connect